• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1979 CM400 Series Brochure

Maraakate

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I've found this one on the web a few years ago and mirrored at my site. I've since found the original on ebay :)

CM400brochure1.jpg
cm400brochure2.jpg
cm400brochure3.jpg
cm400brochure4.jpg

Love stuff like that. Wish I had one for every bike I've owned, wasn't smart enough to collect them from the dealerships back when they were available

I wasn't alive yet, but I do like collecting the literature to stuff. Kind of a side-hobby to the main hobby. :D

I wasn't alive yet, but I do like collecting the literature to stuff. Kind of a side-hobby to the main hobby. :D

Much like your avatar - is that a picture you took, or just one you like involving vinyl? I have a little bit of vinyl myself and some old stereo to go with it.

I do collect vinyl and enjoy vintage hifi equipment. I have a 1962 Empire 298 Turntable and a 1965 HH Scott LK-60 amp as my main stuff. But, in that case it's actually a picture of a prototype LaserDisc. Which is something else I also collect.

Haven't had time or money really to expand on those collections in recent years, but I have quite enough of all of it that I'm fairly satisfied with what I have.

Well, I don't have anything quite that vintage, but I do have some stuff from the '70s and '80s - a 7" Sony reel to reel, 7.5 IPS bought in 1971 that still works, and a pair of Cerwin-Vega 24s (12" 3 ways with Phillips dome midranges) with real walnut veneer that I paid $170 each for in early 1977 and they stills sound great, the woofers have been reconed at least 3 times over the years. I also have a Technics linear tracking turntable with AT cartridge from 1984. Vinyl used to be fun, sometimes buying a second copy to leave unopened because the cover art was that cool. I, too, haven't spent much time or money in the last couple decades in that area since vinyl died off and then made a slow comeback, the stores are fewer and the prices are, of course, a lot higher.

Pre-COVID using discogs for vinyl was a great site for getting fair prices direct from other collectors. But it seems once COVID started the value of that stuff has shot up. No politics here, per the rules, so I won't get into any of that I just want to note for the record that prices have definitely gone up in the past few years on a previously great resource for getting fair prices on vinyl. Buying at Wal-Mart or Barnes and Noble has almost always been a rip-off. Most of the indie vinyl stores around my area don't have the best prices and I never use them.

Interesting on the linear tracking TT. Never used one. Technics makes great stuff though. I'm a big fan of Panasonic components. They make some of the best capacitors around. Most caps are only good for about twenty years, but the Panasonic gear still keeps going. I used to have some Technics direct drive equipment, but I got rid of that years ago. I don't really like the direct drive as much because most of that stuff the motor noise tends to vibrate a bit through the platter and you can get some rumble at very loud volumes, and I like to listen loud. Not all DD is like this, but the stuff I'd find at yard sales and the like were cheaper DD models from the eighties.

I had some reel to reel at one point, but it's gone now. An early 70s model, but can't remember the size of the tape or the manufacturer. Worked well, but was more of a novelty so I got rid of it after I put new idlers, belts and fluid in it.

My Technics linear turntable is belt drive, though I do also have a Technics direct drive turntable with strobe and viscous-filled feet from either the late '70s or early '80s. Oddly, it doesn't have damped cueing, it's a strictly manual tonearm. Gave it to my father when I bought the linear, and later the cover got badly cracked when their house was broken into, vandalized and lots of valuable personal effects stolen. I really like the linear, it's super easy to use but it was a low end model with no strobe.

20211216_150429.jpg

When was the last time you saw one of these new and unopened? :)

20211216_150441.jpg

Amazingly, we have some hardware store nearby that's the closest one in about fifteen miles and they still have cassettes and an old dusty betamax tape for sale!

The oldest daughter uses tapes as well with a walkman, likes to make radio shows and the like. :)

Nice! I still have all the mix tapes I made in the '80s and '90s and a cassette deck to play them on. In the garage the signal to noise ratio of tape vs vinyl or disc is immaterial with the other noises going on, LOL

Back
Top Bottom