• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Points Leads Replacement

stl360+450

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I recently replaced the points on my CB450K7 and, at the time, was reminded that the points leads were in rough shape. The right hand (blue) lead had a split in the casing and the left hand lead was a combination of two wires (really!).

I spent a couple of hours remedying the situation this afternoon. I had ordered a box of crimp style eyelet connectors and had some old cloth-wrapped points wires that were salvaged from a used points plate purchase.

I can see some disadvantages to eyelet connectors, but I think there are also advantages that made me choose them. I wasn't sure how to source the connectors on the OEM leads and I think the eyelets will be less prone to grounding on the points cover.

I thought I would share pictures in case: (a) anyone has any caveats about this choice or (b) anyone else wishes to do something like this if they end up in a similar situation.

IBvWokK.jpg

FIDVR2l.jpg

S4BcQmh.jpg

I like the look of them and I think you'll be fine. The plastic cover over the crimp area will help with the potential points cover interference, you're not going to have any issues there. If not for the length of the felt I'd have been tempted to put the right side wire on the bolt head side of the points terminal even further up away from the cover, but it would require a couple of bends in the eyelet and isn't really necessary.

Now you need the clip for the wires at the top bolt of the valve cover (#10)

honda-cb450k5-usa-e-2-cylinder-head-cover_big3IMG01171572_539d.jpg

I like the look of them and I think you'll be fine. The plastic cover over the crimp area will help with the potential points cover interference, you're not going to have any issues there. If not for the length of the felt I'd have been tempted to put the right side wire on the bolt head side of the points terminal even further up away from the cover, but it would require a couple of bends in the eyelet and isn't really necessary.

Now you need the clip for the wires at the top bolt of the valve cover (#10)

Thanks. I should get one of those clips - thanks for pointing that out. Many little things like that were missing when I purchased this bike and little by little they are getting sorted out.

I almost mentioned the points felt. It is not the correct felt for the bike, but was readily available and I managed to get it installed. I think it is for a Honda ATC/ATV.

Thanks. I should get one of those clips - thanks for pointing that out. Many little things like that were missing when I purchased this bike and little by little they are getting sorted out.

I almost mentioned the points felt. It is not the correct felt for the bike, but was readily available and I managed to get it installed. I think it is for a Honda ATC/ATV.

With the way things are for us right now with parts, any felt you can find that's close to the right size is perfectly fine. Since they do wear you'll have some room to freshen up the rubbing end of it in the future. I appreciate functionality as much as accuracy for period correctness. I used a few hardware store metric flange nuts and bolts on my 450 (valve covers, exhaust stud nuts and a few others) because they are both very functional and look good as replacements for original, not all bolts look right or acceptable for our bikes in my book.

Back
Top Bottom