• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

I want to run 110/80 18 on '83 CM250C

83CM250C

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi all I have a new old stock 110/80 18 Battlax that I would like to install on the '83 CM250C where Honda calls for 3.25 S18 tire (info from original sticker on the bike). 110 divided by 25.4 =4.33. I would go with a 4/4.5 tube but want to know that the Battlax isn't too wide to be safe on the rim. The rim is stamped 18X1.85. I like the idea of the wider front due to intended usage and there is plenty of room inside the fender. I did check the guide that resident guru here supplied, and it's not in the recommended range. The Battlax is 20mm wider than the Kenda that's on it; I think it would stay on the rim. Thanks in advance for experienced comment.

Moved to SOHC Twins Wheels, Tires and Brakes section.

I'd say that would fit but it is a significant amount larger for that rim, and the handling will be slower as a result. Personally I wouldn't do it.

"Intended usage"?

How do you intend to use this bike? Ripping around on back roads or relaxed city riding?

That 110/80 is NOT going to end up the full inch + wider than the 3.25 as the narrow rim will "pinch" it in and reshape it to narrower (width) and higher/taller (aspect).....
It MAY be so distorted that you will actually have a smaller contact patch than the stock tire size......
You need either a wider rim (at least a 2.15) or a smaller tire......

Son will have a twenty-five minute commute for summer job on it, all paved but could be pothole or two, and low or soft shoulders. There's a good 90/90 on it right now but tube must have a leak (not at the valve). I'm not worried about sacrificing handling, just want to get a new tube in there and the Battlax sure looks tougher than the 90/90 Kenda. I'm going to give it a try; I hope the 4/4.5 tube was correct choice for this combo.

The tube should be ok, tubes are pretty forgiving when tire sizes are close.

If handling gets squirrelly higher front tire pressure might round the tire a little more and calm it down. It might take some experimentation to find the sweet spot between handling and rough road survivability.

Back
Top Bottom