• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

73 CL175 Running without rectifier and regulator

ckahleer

Total Posts
Total likes
When I took the exhaust and left air cleaner off, I found the 3 regulator wires were unplugged. I did a little more electercal snooping and could not find the rectifier, but I found the 4 pin connector dangling between the carburetors.
I did a quick ride around the block after acquiring the bike, then tore things apart as I began reurbishment.
Any ideas on why a PO might have disconnected the rectifier and regulator? I guess it was just running on the battery.

PO was likely planning on installing a modern combined rectifier/regulator back in the original rectifier positioning (inside the frame slightly forward of the battery box) ......
OR, it could be installed/wired in elsewhere and the original rectifier is the source of the empty plug above the carbs......

There's just no explaining some of the stuff POs do.

Of course pressent owners can can do some stupid things too. Like spending a day tracing wires, only to find a Charlie's-place one piece rectifier/regulator hidden where Honda origionaly hid the rectifier.

Of course pressent owners can can do some stupid things too. Like spending a day tracing wires, only to find a Charlie's-place one piece rectifier/regulator hidden where Honda origionaly hid the rectifier.

DOH! :dizzy:

Yes, Thats probbaly why it was running when I bought it. When I removed the exhaust and left air cleaner I saw the regulator unplugged. Then I saw the plug for the rectifier just dangling there. I did not know there was a one piece conversion avalible. I found the thing by accident, using an inspection mirror to follow wires. Also, the wiring diagram in the Clymers manual was not matching what I had.
I think I over reacted and the regulator/rectifier is wired in fine. I'll know in a few days when I get it back together enough to start it and check voltages.

I got it fired up today and checked voltages. Unfortunatly my Clymers Manual only gives voltage specs at 5k and 10k rpm.
Specs are 13v min at 5k, 16.5v min at 10k. the following are my measurments across the battery.
Before starting bike, ignition off. 12.5v
1.5K - 12v
2k - 12.2v
3k - 12.5v
4k - 12.9v
5k - 13.3v
7k - 13.6v
I didn't have the heart to take it up to 10k, but may have hit 9k on some quick revs. It never hit 14v.
Do they not give an idle or lower speed voltage value because its not designed to charge there?
Is this well enough to leave alone?

Do they not give an idle or lower speed voltage value because its not designed to charge there?
Is this well enough to leave alone?

It is normal for the "Break-Even" charging to be at 2800 to 3K RPM......
It's fine, but at 12.5 V, either your battery is a smidge low, or your meter needs zeroed......Should be 12.6+

Back
Top Bottom