• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Royal Enfield 650

Alan F.

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I searched and found little mention of these. They've been around for a few years now.

470lbs wet, 47hp, 55nm (40-1/2ft-lbs) starting low down, 7000 red line.
55" wheelbase, 3.5gal, air/oil cooled, 6-speed, chain drive, single cam, 4 valves per cyl, Bosch fuel injection, two channel ABS, brakes by a subsidiary of Brembo, single disc front & rear with braided steel lines, tubed tires on stainless spoked alloy rims, tach & speedo, two trip odometers and a fuel level indicator, and a muffler on each side.

And they're priced in the $6K (US) range new, ~$4500 used, S&S has pipes and big bore kits too.

Thoughts?

This bike? https://www.royalenfield.com/us/en/motorcycles/int650/

It looks pretty nice, just enough modern features and the price is much cheaper than so many other new bikes. Simple enough engine that it should be reliable, though I have no knowledge of their durability from anyone who actually owns any RE model. In years past there has been one or two show up at the Sunday morning Speedway station hangout but never a 650, usually the smaller ones (250?).

Edit: just noticed it has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, impressive.

I was noticing that stock SOHC CB750s were making 44ft-lbs... All of the videos (that aren't made by children comparing everything to 1000cc sportbikes) are favorable.

I found it funny that the Official forum for these bikes is owned by You Know Who, and the self titled Unofficial forum is not!

The only thing I'm curious about with respect to the engine is the 270° firing order. Not at all familiar with it and don't think I've ever heard an engine running with that arrangement.

The only thing I'm curious about with respect to the engine is the 270° firing order. Not at all familiar with it and don't think I've ever heard an engine running with that arrangement.

It sounds ****ing great!! My 2016 Triumph Scrambler 900 EFI (last year of the air cooled ) has a 270 firing order. With customized air box, a 2into1 Arrow exhaust and a fuel map tune it sounds and runs awesome.

It’s also a pretty common mod in the Yam XS650 world. Makes them sound like a Harley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,
I have had one hour test ride last year with Interceptor. It was nice and reasonably light feel bike with no quality issues. Some riders complain about footrest placement, which collide with legs at road at bike stop. Handbar switches are fine, but feel and look like quite cheap. There are some accessories avalaible, which makes this bike great customization base. Zaard has made ,,scrambler''/CL like mufflers, there are heads and pistons for 850ccm in Australia.

I'm a big fan of the looks of their bikes. With the vintage styling across their whole product line it's not surprising to see them getting some love among the crowd on this board.

Hello,
I have had one hour test ride last year with Interceptor. It was nice and reasonably light feel bike with no quality issues. Some riders complain about footrest placement, which collide with legs at road at bike stop. Handbar switches are fine, but feel and look like quite cheap. There are some accessories avalaible, which makes this bike great customization base. Zaard has made ,,scrambler''/CL like mufflers, there are heads and pistons for 850ccm in Australia.

Thanks Andrew, that's more information than I've heard anywhere so far. Interesting that the footpeg location would cause interference with your legs when putting your feet down. I suspected there might be a few things about the bike that were inexpensively manufactured since the price is so much lower than most bikes in that size category. Still, if most aspects of the bike are solid then it's an intriguing bike for an economy price, especially for the engine size.

It seems that the bike was designed to be upgraded and personalized to individual tastes. The running gear combination and chassis work well, everything I've heard about the transmission has been good too.

I just confirmed this bike has a slipper clutch too. So easier downshifting with much less danger of rear wheel lockup and much kinder to the drivetrain in general.

Also I understand a slipper clutch requires full synthetic engine oil.

First service interval is 300 miles, then every 3000 with valve clearances checked every time.

It's also got a real 7" Hallogen headlight, no LEDs, I like that.

Looks like Excel rims and D.I.D. chains are standard.

I've never ridden anything with a slipper clutch before, wonder how it feels. The last bike I had with any kind of clutch that wasn't totally manual was my CT200 in '69, but it was Honda's version of a centrifugal that was also disengageable

Hi, sorry, I had busy day.

There are loads of informations about this bike at uncle stew (stuart fillingham) YT channel about this. Footrest position seems to be dependent from drivers' dimension. Plus a lot of nice UK style vintage accesories.

P.S. S&S mufflers are slimmer, but, boy, they are loud as hell. (And are out of EU hologation I suppose.)

I just couldn't resist.

Well it's finally mine and home with 3878 miles for about 2/3 the price of new (before dealer markup & fees). It's got some maintenance coming up and after my 250 mile ride home I have some other ideas too. The typical complaints about the cheap mirrors, mine are stable & clear at 80mph, and the foot pegs that stab you in the calves or bang on your shins at every stop... nope same place as on every other bike I've ever been on, right in front of my legs comfortably. The seat is fine considering the ~150 mile range, it's too thin and low though so better seat & lower pegs are on the list of improvements along with regreaseing the steering bearings and putting in 12wt fork oil.

20220522_162134.jpg20220522_162004.jpg20220522_162321_HDR.jpg

I'll get it plated & insured in my name soon.

No, lots of paved & unpaved back roads through NY & VT before hopping back on 89 just after dark. What really impressed me about this bike was its ability to gently roll off the throttle just a little and decelerate without popping or fuss.

Google maps chose the northern route on the way up, I thought it was funny how the second sign points north...

20220518_154224.jpg 20220518_154233.jpg

I chose the southern route heading back but didn't take any more pictures that day.

Yes it sure was! I'm shopping for taller seats and lowered pegs now, my hips were so painful that it was hard to shift or brake sooner than I'd like to admit.

I've always been an admirer of the 650, but I do think that the seat lets it down, looks like one of those 'café racer' Chinese seats sold on Ebay. The cross braced CL175 style handle bars don't really suit it either, just my opinion of course.

Thriving market in aftermarket parts over here in the UK.

Performance Parts | TEC Bike Parts

I was also surprised to see scrambler bars on it, seems out of place but simple enough to change. Overall it looks like one of the nicer retro bikes available and it's good to hear Alan's positive impressions of it.

The retro appearance of this motorcycle is very appealing to me. I may consider the RE when my top heavy Honda CB1100 becomes difficult to hold up at stops. One thing that does not appeal to me is the service intervals, especially the valve check.

The retro appearance of this motorcycle is very appealing to me. I may consider the RE when my top heavy Honda CB1100 becomes difficult to hold up at stops. One thing that does not appeal to me is the service intervals, especially the valve check.

Hit me up when that time comes, you never know, it's only 250 miles & easy to meet in the middle.

I finally have this bike plated and inspected, took it out for a short ride around town this morning after the inspection but probably spent more time at red lights than riding.

I finally have this bike plated and inspected, took it out for a short ride around town this morning after the inspection but probably spent more time at red lights than riding.

Time to venture out away from the city... I'm hoping you're enjoying that new toy.

I'm still getting used to it and have a long list of small adjustments to make. But yeah getting out there is going to be key. I'm thinking early morning coffee runs for starters.

Couple pics from last Saturday, I was on call but got up early to try attending the final Saturday Open house at HondaRestoration.com
But Google maps brought me to the wrong area. I did however ride some really nice dirt roads and some really ugly ones in the hour or so I spent off pavement.
20220625_103903_HDR~2.jpg 20220625_103841~2.jpg 20220625_103921~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I bolted on a rear rack/backrest this afternoon. $65 from ebayer Royal-Rider in India and it showed up pretty quickly. Out of the box it's heavy, wall thickness of he main tubes is thicker than any of the American made racks I've had on my 70s-80s Hondas. It bolted right up, matches paint, vinyl & stitching.

Screenshot_2022-06-29-18-10-51.jpg20220629_172322~2.jpg20220629_172311.jpg20220629_172250.jpg

Thanks Andrew, I was considering the knee pads but haven't decided yet. I'm not sure if I want to cover up any of that orange paint. If I find a good deal I might be tempted, but I'm not interested in the Union Jack themed/styled pads. There are better places to spend the money, like the 5 oil filters I just ordered...

I just cleaned & added dielectric grease to my relays & sockets. Plus that ground wire connector that crosses over them. Also I added some dielectric grease to each of the fuses. I'm gonna need to find a tiny pair of pliers for my toolkit, and a double ended screwdriver.

Valve clearances need to be done soon, when I fired it up the valve clatter was so bad even I could hear it.

I let it idle for 20 minutes in case the loose battery terminals had taught the ECU any bad habits. There was an intermittent miss after the first 5 minutes that lasted until nearly the 15 minute mark before it disappeared. There was a little bit of surging before I shut it down, it's hunting for something or bouncing between 2 points I guess. Correct valve clearances and new oil may make it happier. I haven't looked at the plugs yet.

20220630_192208.jpg

Yeah, these bikes arrive with connectors full of what looks like white lithium grease. It turns rusty looking too which is odd because the connector contacts are brass.

Yeah, these bikes arrive with connectors full of what looks like white lithium grease. It turns rusty looking too which is odd because the connector contacts are brass.

They have done a wonderful job of bringing this marque up to modern standards but considering the source, I hope that isn't some byproduct of food service to save a few rupees.

I've heard that reference somewhere before, kind of reminds me of the whale oil story with Honda fork oil.

Wow, lots of stuff I was not aware of with RE. Fortnine's videos are fun, even when not overly informative, but that one was good all around. Makes me wish I could afford one.

If we could just get them to swap that powerplant into the Himalayan, shave a few lbs....

I have heard rumors of a 650 adventure type bike. I wonder if it'll be based on the current 650 twin or something else? Crossover parts between models would be fun.

I keep hearing (reading) all kinds of stuff - like the 650 project has been killed off in favor of the new 450 that's being launched next year. The 450 is going to be a huge hit in the US if they can keep the price down. The current model is just grossly underpowered (24 hp). The 450 design looks really, really good.

Back
Top Bottom