• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1972 CB350F

Flyin900

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I posted about this bike on the projects bike forum and noted it is a full on restoration of a decent looker with too many Chinese parts and short cuts in many areas. It did although have quite a bit on money spent on other areas such as a DSS reproduction seat and a full replacement 4 into 4 original style exhaust.
The restoration was done 8-10 years ago it appears and the restorer painted the body parts in what appears to be the Candy Bacchus Olive OEM colour. They installed the gas tank graphics over clear coat then didn't for some reason clear the pin stripe graphics. This led to the white stripes yellowing with age and impossible to clean up to white again.

I decided to remove them and buy replacement graphics and ended up damaging the paint slightly on the tank. I thought no problem my paint supplier can match that colour. No cigar. After two tries which were not close enough I thought about buying the correct colour from a US supplier who sells Candy Bacchus Olive. The issue is would that paint match correctly, or be off slightly too.

So I decided to use a really nice Ford emerald green that I had in stock with one of the close but no cigar colour matches in a 80% emerald 20% light green mixture. I have shot the tank and side covers and applied the new graphics. This time with a clear coat protective coating.

I still need to pull the front end back off the remove the headlight bucket and lower fork shrouds to match those to the other parts.

Here are the tank and side covers in the new emerald green mixture and I think I like it better than the original colour it pops pretty good with the tank graphics. Once I install the CB350F side cover badges and the tank HONDA logos I think it will be a sharp colour scheme.

P1080485.jpg

Yeah, I like that green more than the olive, the factory color looked good but I always felt it wasn't quite bright enough green. Nice job.

Here are the refurbished gauges ready for the trip home from Holland after 8 months. It was a long time and I likely would live with the faded red line area in the future. I didn't get the restorer to reset the odometer, since the motor was not rebuilt and that wouldn't be correct in my books. It has the original miles on the motor as purchased and a cosmetic restoration of the bike, not a full rebuild.

Before:
P1070571.jpg

After: New gauge faces and glass lens, replacement trip meter knob and rubber seal. Refill of the damping fluids and a repaint of the outer black covers.

Refurbished May 2022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have been working on both projects the CB350F and the CL77 and also a set of CB500K carbs for a fellow CVMG member this past week. I just finished compounding the CB350F gas tank and installed the HONDA badges back on the sides. I am pleased with the outcome, as there were a number of blemishes in the clear coat to sand away, a consequence of shooting outside vs a clean room environment of a paint booth.

Gas cap and petcock installation next and then back on the bike.

P1080495.jpgP1080496.jpgP1080498.jpg

Looking really good, that green grows on you and it's probably the only green I'd have on a bike.

Looking really good, that green grows on you and it's probably the only green I'd have on a bike.

Thanks fellows. The outdoor shot and with sun and the camera lens changes the colour somewhat, it is more accurate in the first indoor picture with the side covers included. Although the lighter green I mixed into the formula is picked up more outdoors too.
I will work on the side covers next to sand and buff them and add the CB350F logos. I sent the little button head screws that lock the covers to the frame out for chrome. Should be ready next week and then the main body parts are finished.

I plan to move this into my family room as a display model. Along with the CL175 currently there and likely the CL77 when it is finished.

Hello fellows I am back after some health issues sidelined me over the past few months and are now on the mend I hope at this time. It has been quite awhile since I posted anything on the site.

I did finally get this bike finished over these past few months and have it nice and secure in my family room now and I enjoy seeing the fruits of my labour while down there relaxing in the evenings.

So here are a few pictures of the finished bike and I am pleased with the end result of all the work since the purchase two years ago. The pictures are a little dark, so they don't show the bike in the best light.

P1080615.jpg P1080619.jpg P1080618.jpg P1080616.jpgP1080614.jpg

Thanks dad. :)

Hopefully I can get back into the swim of things again over the next little while. Sucks getting old.. or as Phillis Diller once said " getting old ain't for sissies."

The bike is spectacular! Excellent work. Must be nice having a moto museum in your family room! I hope the health issues are, or will soon be, things of the past.

Did you have to make ramp to get it out of the house or is there a pretty level entrance?

The bike is spectacular! Excellent work. Must be nice having a moto museum in your family room! I hope the health issues are, or will soon be, things of the past.

Did you have to make ramp to get it out of the house or is there a pretty level entrance?

I actually took the bike apart in the garage and then rebuilt it in my basement, as I have a room down there that I restore bikes and parts etc in there over the winter months. My garage isn't heated and it can get mighty cold up here in January through March.

So it was just a case of getting it down off the raised wooden platform that I build it up on and then wheeling it into the family room. Once I finish the 1966 CL77 this winter, it will also move into the family room along with the CL175 and CB350F, as I have room in there for three display bikes.

^^^Pictures of that 3 bike display when it all comes together, please. I'm sure it will look excellent.

Back
Top Bottom