• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

No edit function on posts after yesterday’s down time on VHT site

Flyin900

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
FWIW - It seems I cannot edit any posts created after yesterday’s downtime on the site. Any posts prior to yesterday can still be edited. Post box is blank with no copy when selecting edit function.

I just tested it by trying to edit a reply from a few minutes ago this morning. Edit works for me.

edit.jpg

Could be a permissions change but it seems odd that it would be across user types since Steve is a Moderator. Let me see what I can find out

I just checked all permissions for Super Moderators (Steve) and Registered Users, and nothing had been changed as a result of our move. This is from the Registered Users permissions settings.

members edit.jpg

All I can suggest is clearing the cache on your browser, I had to do that yesterday during the DNS resolution period after the migration.

Last edited:
Well, whatever you did worked.....I can now edit......

PS......I did nothing.....Didn't clear my cache.......

Last edited:
Well, whatever you did worked.....I can now edit......

PS......I did nothing.....Didn't clear my cache

I just reaffirmed the same settings, so maybe that's all it needed. Did it with the Registered Users too so hopefully the same result will happen

I did nothing either and the function is back, so something changed for the better now.:)

Glad it's solved. So far we've really only encountered one glitch that couldn't be fixed normally, and I think it was because the post was originally copied from the other forum and then copied again for second new thread here. I reworked it yesterday and now all seems well with it. I did encounter a 503 page error this morning on the main forum page for barely 15 seconds, one refresh brought it back and since, no issues. Considering how much could have happened during a migration, I think we came through pretty clean.

Well were back to no edit function tonight.

So did the site migrate to a new server/supplier of hosting services? If so then a few bugs are to be expected.

Well were back to no edit function tonight.

So did the site migrate to a new server/supplier of hosting services? If so then a few bugs are to be expected.
Yes, with all the power outages and equipment failure our previous host has been having we changed to a different company that owns all of their equipment, has locations in London and Dallas that mirror each other, 24/7 engineers/technicians on site and fast support response.
The issue I was having with no edit was resolved finally after Tom stripped and rebuilt the post I was trying to edit. That particular post started life on the old HT site, was copied and pasted here for the last T shirt sale and copy pasted again for the current Tee Shirt sale just before we did the migration. I suspect it has to do with the older version of PHP that runs in this software vs. our hosts newest version. Tom was nice enough to take over when he saw I was on the 3rd attempt to fix it.
Note: I was able to edit up to the migration point.

Just hit this issue just now when trying to reply to a post. I was initially trying to use the 'reply with quote' functionality and that wasn't working either, it would just bring up the reply box but with no quote in there. I manually created the quote but must have made a typo so then tried to edit the post but it just shows a blank box. Thought it may have been the browser so tried using a different one but same issue.

Weird, after submitting this post I figured I'd try and edit it. Works here. Wondering if it may be permission based and the permissions are not the same on each of the forum sections/subsections?

Just hit this issue just now when trying to reply to a post. I was initially trying to use the 'reply with quote' functionality and that wasn't working either, it would just bring up the reply box but with no quote in there. I manually created the quote but must have made a typo so then tried to edit the post but it just shows a blank box. Thought it may have been the browser so tried using a different one but same issue.

Weird, after submitting this post I figured I'd try and edit it. Works here. Wondering if it may be permission based and the permissions are not the same on each of the forum sections/subsections?

There are differences in permissions for some subsections but only for one member, and I can't recall if the changes were made right before our server migration or right afterward but it was roughly around that time. I suppose I could go back to default on all registered member permissions for a bit and then readjust a few days later if it seems to help. I assumed the whole thing started as a result of our migration, and probably some of it did, but maybe this lingering issue is one we could cure.

I rechecked and reaffirmed the Registered Users settings for the site yesterday while verifying the settings again for that one member. Not sure if that helped anything or not, time will tell. If not it will take someone with more knowledge about all this than me.

I tried to edit a post this morning but as has happened in the past, no text is in the box for me to edit. This has been a reoccurring problem for me over the last several weeks at a minimum.

I tried to edit a post this morning but as has happened in the past, no text is in the box for me to edit. This has been a reoccurring problem for me over the last several weeks at a minimum.

As you were posting this, I was again going through the permissions and I can't find anything out of place. I'll need to get someone else more knowledgeable involved to get to the bottom of these individual issues.

And I wanted to point out a workaround that will suffice for the time being (although I'm not sure how well it will work for those using a tablet with no mouse or hard keyboard).

When you want to edit a post, before you click the edit button take the time to copy the text of the post so you can paste it into the open, empty text box if/when the original text does not display, then edit and save.

Back
Top Bottom