• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Gas tank repair or replace?

Albert

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi guys, I'd like an opinion on this, my bike's gas tank has a small leaking at the back right side, is quite rusty on the inside and has two small dents, I was thinking about getting a used one but in better conditions, in fact I also want a style change, something like the one at this old post https://www.hondatwins.net/threads/honda-cb400-450t-fuel-tank.23279/ I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

IMG_20220424_141511.jpg IMG_20220424_141655.jpg IMG_20220424_141530.jpg

I would say yours is salvageable if you want to keep it. However, it is also bad enough to be a good excuse to get the one you want.

That tank will fit But you will need to make a modification to your frame since it mounts with the rubber pucks the tank slide onto.
Look at your frame and you'll see the hole where the stud goes, behind the normal screw in mount
201_5055-001.JPG
The stud is 14mm diameter and @1" long. Honda actually just used a long rod going all the way thru and welded in place.
cm400t.jpg

So, to fit that tank I have to replace the frame studs with the rubber pucks, not a big deal I think, What about the tank mounting grommets for the side covers, are these at the same position than the OEM tank?

The side covers to match the tank are a bit different. The top forward peg fits into the tank, rear peg is the same for all, lower front is off by a few mm's.
CB250.jpg
I don't know how well the original covers you have will fit the tank.

Well, if that´s the case I think this is all for the changing tank part, I´ll repair mine and that´s it, I already bought both side covers which are as good as new and I´m not going to replace them, thanks for all the info

Well, if that´s the case I think this is all for the changing tank part, I´ll repair mine and that´s it, I already bought both side covers which are as good as new and I´m not going to replace them, thanks for all the info
Get the tank cleaned out and have it pressure tested. Little pinholes can be hiding under the rust sealing them off.

Yes, that´s what I intend to do, I saw once a post about how to do it in the forum, but I can´t find it right now, can you share the link?

Yes, that´s what I intend to do, I saw once a post about how to do it in the forum, but I can´t find it right now, can you share the link?
I didn't see that one. You need to seal off the filler or the petcock fitting. The filler is probably easier with a rubber freeze plug installed. Air is blown in thru the remaining opening to a MAX of 1bar or 14psi, 10 psi is better. Submerge the tank completely in water and watch for bubbles, track those back to the source and you have your hole.

If it's thin enough to have a hole in it, it's likely to have another half dozen holes ready to to sprout. Time to find a tank.

I didn't see that one. You need to seal off the filler or the petcock fitting. The filler is probably easier with a rubber freeze plug installed. Air is blown in thru the remaining opening to a MAX of 1bar or 14psi, 10 psi is better. Submerge the tank completely in water and watch for bubbles, track those back to the source and you have your hole.

Sorry, I meant a post about cleaning the tank with baking soda I think to rememmber, it had also opinions about cleaning with vinager if I can remember well

Clean with vinegar, the baking soda is used afterwards to neutralize the acid in vinegar. Once clean and dry coat the inside with a light oil or WD40 to stop flash rust from forming.

Just in case I need it, wich other tank can fit my bike without any mod? from a CB650 Nighthawk perhaps?

The only one I know of for sure is the same tank, different year. If you want to go with using the mounting pucks then any of the SOHC CB/CM 400/450 tanks will fit, the rear mount might need an extension for some of the. The largest tank is the 1981 CM400E & 1982 CM450E, 3.8 gallons

Hi again, a fellow biker gave me this tank in excellent shape (at least on the outside) I still have to compare it with mine but at first sight it seems larger, any idea which bike does it come from?

IMG_20220510_153034.jpg IMG_20220510_153044.jpg

So as you previously said and I quote "If you want to go with using the mounting pucks then any of the SOHC CB/CM 400/450 tanks will fit" does that mean I can fit this tank, and the side covers will also fit?

So as you previously said and I quote "If you want to go with using the mounting pucks then any of the SOHC CB/CM 400/450 tanks will fit" does that mean I can fit this tank, and the side covers will also fit?
Yes to the tank, the side covers are a definite maybe. Might have to move the mounting tabs on the frame to fit

A few years back, I bought an XT225 that had a pinhole leak in the tank. I patched it with JB weld and for a couple month it was fine. Than another pln hole leak. patched it and 2 month later another leak. I realized this dance was never going to end and started looking for a replacement tank when someone suggested I try Caswell epoxy tank liner. After the Caswell job, I owned that bike another 3 years with no more leaks. It makes a thick epoxy coating on the inside of the tank.

Yes to the tank, the side covers are a definite maybe. Might have to move the mounting tabs on the frame to fit

You're definitely right, front top holes in this CT tank are like an inch downwards, and the side covers really doesn't look good at all facing down like that, so far I have no other choice than repairing the old stock tank because can't find any in acceptable condition

Finally I'm going tou buy this dent removal kit on Ebay, the cheapest one I found ($29.99) for a single use to remove the dents, the small CASWELL tank sealer, and I will follow the procedures mentioned here, thanks for everything (y)

s-l1600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom