• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Headlight Wiring

teastman201

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi All,

Thanks for having me.

I've got a specific question that I hope you all can answer.

TLDR - low beam not working, high beam is fine. Bulb was checked/replaced. Low/High beam switcher was checked. I suspect it's the wiring as this was done by previous owner and has several additions that are not in use. See questions down below.

Context:
The bike has an aftermarket (not Vetter) fairing that the previous owner [had] wired. Currently, when connected it will disrupt the battery charging to the point that if left alone will eventually drain the battery (even while in operation). However, if unplugged, there is no issue. What I've learned so far: [1] controls both turns signals together, [2] no effect/ground, [3] main power to headlight, [4] right turn signal + alert sound, [5] unknown/no effect, [6] left turn signal + alert sound. I'm looking to remove all the extras and rewire it, however, there are 2 points that I'm confused about.

Point 1, in the pigtail image connection [2] and connection [5] are unknown. However, I suspect that [2] is the ground. [5] is just a loose dangling wire (could be culprit).

Point 2, in the headlight image the connector shows [1] ground, [2] drive, [3] pass. However, the [1] ground is not used for grounding but in actuality [2] drive is being used for ground (and/or the unknown).

Question 1, does the order (ground, drive, pass) matter (i.e., the ground side must be used for grounding) or are they interchangeable as long as each does only one function?
Question 2, does anyone know what [5] is supposed to do or is [5] supposed to be spliced into [3] to make the low beam work?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.12.56 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.12.56 PM.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.44.28 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.44.28 PM.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.43.57 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.43.57 PM.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 6
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.33.11 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 5.33.11 PM.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3
PLEASE Phone me......540-525-5199....Steve

Ground (Green wire) MUST be used as ground...... (as it is the "common" connection to both filaments.....)

IF you normally run the HIGH beam and "dip" to low to pass, the Blue wire and White wire are correct, however, I normally run Low beam and "flash" High to signal I'm passing, so for me the blue and white color positions are reversed.....

We can fix the rest during the call.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom