• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL77 Fork seal cap removal tool needed

Flyin900

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I would like to look at the interior of the fork parts prior to installing them again. While the seals seem intact, there are various bushings inside the forks that should be checked.
The top cap is an aluminum screwed on cap that sits above the seal, with two small holes for a proper tool to be inserted in there to unscrew this cap. Any thoughts on what would work beyond fabricating a tool for this specific purpose? I don't want to use a drift and hog out those holes if the cap is stuck in there good.

P1080442.jpg

I was able to find the pin tool at Princess Auto in their surplus section for $5. and was able to modify it to open large enough to do the job. A little grinding and drilling a 3mm hole and tapping for a 3mm screw made the tool functional. With some heat on the top fork area to help loosen the top rings they came out easily to show the fork seals below. They look like the original seals at first glance, as they have some numbers that are not like a modern fork seal on top.
I will do the disassembly later to see how the internals look.

Thanks for the suggestions on that pin tool, it ended up being the least expensive piece on the bike so far. :lol:

P1080443.jpg

Back
Top Bottom