• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

PJWillett

Total Posts
Total likes
My kickstart shaft broke, so I bought a new one, but I'm having trouble getting everything to fit properly, so the kickstart just feels very spongey when I try to kick it. I can't find the punchmark on the new shaft, which is part of the issue, but then even if i do get everything to fit, I can't get the torque converter back in so that the side cover can go back on. I've tried looking through manuals, but every manual I have looked at has been slightly different than what i have going on in my case. If anyone has any wisdom on this I would be grateful.

Bill is our resident expert and should answer tomorrow, most likely. In the meantime visit the library in General Topics> Technical and download both the CB/CM 400 FSM and the CB400A Supplement, section 6 page 11 had installation instructions.

Can you find the punch mark on the old shaft and transfer it to the new shaft ? Do you have a Honda full service manual ? If not I can send some photos that might help. They are from the CB 400 A but the kick start is the same for both motors. This is how I install the torque converter.

Slide the converter up on the shaft. light inward pressure it should move in about 1/4 of an inch. If it doesnt pull it back a little and rotate it clockwise a little and push it in again. Repeat till the first gear lines up. it should move in about a 1/4 of in inch. light inward pressure and rotate clockwise until the 2nd gear lines up and it will move in about another 1/2 inch. Put the kick start on and put light inward pressure on the converter and rotate the kick start gear with the kick start and when the kick start gear lines up the converter will seat.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Bill H

I don't have a manual, and all the manuals I've seen online have been different than what I'm working with. And Thank you for the advice, I will try that out and let you know how it goes!

Can you find the punch mark on the old shaft and transfer it to the new shaft ? Do you have a Honda full service manual ? If not I can send some photos that might help. They are from the CB 400 A but the kick start is the same for both motors. This is how I install the torque converter.

Slide the converter up on the shaft. light inward pressure it should move in about 1/4 of an inch. If it doesnt pull it back a little and rotate it clockwise a little and push it in again. Repeat till the first gear lines up. it should move in about a 1/4 of in inch. light inward pressure and rotate clockwise until the 2nd gear lines up and it will move in about another 1/2 inch. Put the kick start on and put light inward pressure on the converter and rotate the kick start gear with the kick start and when the kick start gear lines up the converter will seat.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Bill H

Bill is our resident expert and should answer tomorrow, most likely. In the meantime visit the library in General Topics> Technical and download both the CB/CM 400 FSM and the CB400A Supplement, section 6 page 11 had installation instructions.

I don't have a manual, and all the manuals I've seen online have been different than what I'm working with.

As Jim mentioned above, we have the FSM and Supplement you need right here.

Back
Top Bottom