• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Electrical Gremlins

Troy

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I'm sure with enough enough time I would eventually solve this but maybe somebody here can point me in the right direction.

CD175, 6 Volt.

Bike had no functioning bulbs when I bought it so I can't confirm functional wiring but I tidied up the original wiring harness, new connectors where needed, new loom as needed. Thought things were wired back up pretty good and true to the wiring diagram.

New LED bulbs throughout, new battery. New R/R, winker relay, etc.

Tested signal lights and they work great. Plug in the headlight bulb and it works but the signals stop working. Unplug the headlight and the signals work again.

I assume I am looking for a short or a ground issue but not sure which and not sure which circuit, headlight or signals? Any thoughts on a good starting point?

Cheers

Headlight might be drawing enough from the battery that there's nothing left for the turn signals.
You don't mention if the engine is running or this is a static test.

A good question and I hadn't considered that. The bike is not running but considering it is a freshly charged battery and all bulbs, including the headlight are LED I would think there would be ample power available for 2 signal bulbs and a headlight (a pretty small power draw). I suppose I can quickly do a direct connection of all bulbs to the battery and see what happens.

My gut tells me it is something else but I will heed your suggestion and explore the possibility.

Last edited:
What is the amperage rating of the battery?........The Wattage draw of the flasher module (not the LED's ) is suspect.......

Also, with the key on and engine NOT running, if the points were closed there would be a large battery power drain through that completed ground......

Unplugged the ignition coil so that isn't drawing any power. Signals still don't work when headlight is on. Disconnected the headlight bulb from the wiring harness and with the signals working connected the headlight directly to the battery. There is sufficient power in the battery to power the signal relay, the signal bulbs and the headlight bulb. Must be a wiring issue. I will spend the afternoon troubleshooting but if anybody has any time saving suggestions I'm all ears.

Happy Saturday everyone.

Unplugged the ignition coil so that isn't drawing any power. Signals still don't work when headlight is on. Disconnected the headlight bulb from the wiring harness and with the signals working connected the headlight directly to the battery. There is sufficient power in the battery to power the signal relay, the signal bulbs and the headlight bulb. Must be a wiring issue. I will spend the afternoon troubleshooting but if anybody has any time saving suggestions I'm all ears.

Happy Saturday everyone.

Check all your ground points to ensure they are clean and making good contact. If there is any corrosion near or in the wire at any terminal lug you should replace it with a new one soldered on.

Back
Top Bottom