• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Question about header/muffler gaskets, alternatives to OEM packing

ausman1000

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I am trying to save a few bucks here and am wondering if there is an off the shelf wrap type tape that can be used in place of the oem graphite gaskets that seem to run $20 a piece plus shipping. Thanks

I tried a few things when I had my CM400, they didn't work very well though in place of these seals.

Next time I might try something like this to wrap the area the seal would go:

https://www.jbweld.com/product/exhaustweld

jbweldcom_670948434.jpeg

That's a good deal, I found them as low as $14 when I had my CM400 5? Years ago.

I'll let you know what I think of 'em when they arrive and take measurements. According to the tracking info they are in the hands of usps and supposedly on track to arrive by the weekend!

I've bought high temp silicone O rings by dimension for bikes that use them and some that don't but do now on amazon for cheap.

High temp RTV silicone works well, get enough in there to fill the void and give it enough time to set up. We used to use the stuff for header gaskets on cars, it worked well, no leaks.

I’ve had mixed experiences with the caltric gaskets - both exhaust and paper.

The one I bought for my 350 were oversized, and the paper stator gasket I bought for my 700 was too big, dripped until I had some silicone on it.

Other things I’ve bought from them have been fine, I’d say it’s 50/50 so far.

-Ed
1972 CL350
1985 VF700F

High temp RTV silicone works well, get enough in there to fill the void and give it enough time to set up. We used to use the stuff for header gaskets on cars, it worked well, no leaks.

I even cut up one of my wife's floppy baking pans to wrap a rusted exhaust joint on my C200. Still good, 5 years. :)

I'll let you know what I think of 'em when they arrive and take measurements. According to the tracking info they are in the hands of usps and supposedly on track to arrive by the weekend!

Arrived today and they fit like a glove. I wrote the measurements on the box.

gasket.jpg

A little late to the party, +1 to Mikes red RTV recommendation

Needs reapply when you remove the parts, but if left alone will hold for years

Back
Top Bottom