• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1976 XL350K2 - An Off and On Project

I expect not. It was a little weird because the person never identified themselves despite a couple of texts back and forth. That bike ain't for sale.

that is weird. Yeah, I wouldn't be selling it either. Once you get a lot of work in something it's harder to let it go.

The repairs done last summer to correct the shifting issues (mainly finding neutral) I was experiencing are holding up well -- I have had no trouble shifting into neutral, which is a huge relief. I have been using a very small 6V AGM battery from Batteries+ for the last few years and it did not survive the offseason. I rode it several times on the dead battery, since it produces enough power while running, but then my neutral indicator bulb went out and I guess it might have had to do with running the bike on a bad battery. So, I replaced the battery and the bulb and all is well.

I couldn't find a Free Air sign to match the pictures ballbearian recently posted, but I think in St. Louis the sign I found is more apropos.

T5sK7dp.jpg

Bike looks really good, surprisingly the all black isn't too much. I always wondered why they didn't continue the silver frame theme that all (or at least most of) the SLs had previously, I guess they thought it was time for a change.

Bike looks really good, surprisingly the all black isn't too much. I always wondered why they didn't continue the silver frame theme that all (or at least most of) the SLs had previously, I guess they thought it was time for a change.

Thanks, Tom! I think a silver frame would still l have looked good. Maybe trying to change the image of the bike with the shift to a single or to compete with the other brands? Something money related is always a good guess!

I pulled a valve out of my spare head for a thread about choosing a valve spring compressor and figured it would be a good idea to check in about the condition of the valve and seat. Does this valve seem usable?

PXL_20230924_194720442.jpg

PXL_20230924_194730728.jpg

PXL_20230924_194749080.jpg

Last edited:
Weather here is St. Louis is hovering in the 40s and 50s this week. Today I made my commute on the XL350 and was amazed that over 4+ years with this bike I never noticed that the trip meter toggles ON/OFF.

GSRzWtl.jpg

The cracks on the plastic came with the bike!

Crazy, and though I've only ridden one of them long ago I did not notice the option either. Pretty cool if you want to save a particular measurement while out riding, though these days we'd just take a picture of it with our phones.

Does that trip odometer have a type of switch? which allows you to stop the function of it when you choose ?
First time to see one,for me.

Does that trip odometer have a type of switch? which allows you to stop the function of it when you choose ?
First time to see one,for me.
I should've figured that out before posting the picture, but I will give an update tomorrow. I am expecting it might be a push/pull to engage or disengage, but we'll see...

I found and purchased an Owner's Manual for the correct year on eBay a year or so ago and it shows the ON/OFF indicator without explaining its function.

Had to ride one of my bikes in the rain today. I think I chose the best bike for the job, but perhaps not the best attire. I don't really own any wet/cold weather gear, but I should have at least worn my dirt bike boots...

GOJusqr.jpg

qvn5iDz.jpg

I know the feeling well. I never spent money on rain gear when I was younger and riding every day, sometimes with no car as backup transportation at all, because back then a lot of rain suits didn't work well and you eventually got wet underneath anyway. I'd just put my clothes and shoes in a plastic bag, wear an old pair of jeans or work pants and sometimes only flip flops, then change in the bathroom at my destination. I hate to ride in the rain now, to the point that I just won't unless I get caught by surprise while already out and absolutely have to.

With no choke cable, you must be manually working the lever on the carb, or using a different carb. I notice you have a single cable throttle assembly too.

I hate to ride in the rain now, to the point that I just won't unless I get caught by surprise while already out and absolutely have to.
I'm with you there — car is unavailable today and I needed to get to work/school. Somehow I thought it was rainy lightly until I felt a stream reach the inside of my left shoe as I was reaching the halfway point.

Fenders are good.

With no choke cable, you must be manually working the lever on the carb, or using a different carb. I notice you have a single cable throttle assembly too.
I'm running a Mikuni VM32 on this bike with the manual starting circuit lever on top of the carb. This forced me to change the throttle cable setup as well.

I'm running a Mikuni VM32 on this bike with the manual starting circuit lever on top of the carb. This forced me to change the throttle cable setup as well.
I suspected as much, though it's been a while since I read this thread and couldn't remember (and didn't do my due diligence either). There's probably a Honda single cable that would adapt to your Mikuni so the stock throttle assembly could be used, but I'm sure you're well past that at this point.

There's probably a Honda single cable that would adapt to your Mikuni so the stock throttle assembly could be used, but I'm sure you're well past that at this point.
At the time, I couldn't find one, probably because I didn't know where to look, so I worked with what I could find. I'd consider going back if I could get a suitable cable. I haven't looked recently.

I know you must have the 1-to-2 variety on your red 450. I used one of those briefly with my CB450 before returning to the Keihin's.

Yeah, I had to use a CB175 cable (IIRC) with the Mikunis on the 450, and still had to peel off a few wraps of outer cable to make the inner cables the length needed for the connections to the slides. I still need to find a longer upper half for the cable to properly route it, but it works as it is and I've been lazy about revising it because of that.

I'm wondering if an SL/XL125 or XL175 cable might work for your situation. The XL250 had dual cables like your 350 did so that's out. Or an SL175 (CB and CL might be the same) with one lower half cable removed.

Yeah, I had to use a CB175 cable (IIRC) with the Mikunis on the 450, and still had to peel off a few wraps of outer cable to make the inner cables the length needed for the connections to the slides.
My current setup required similar mods. I'll have a look at what's available and report back.

My current setup required similar mods. I'll have a look at what's available and report back.
Or just leave it as is if you're okay with the way it works now. I was just thinking of you getting back to the original right switch and throttle assembly.

EDIT: I just noticed you added the aftermarket throttle to the end of it all so you still have the original right switch, smart.

I remember once finding a source/supplier of cable wire, housing, ferrules, fittings and the lead ends for custom cable fabrication. Unfortunately I didn't save it. There are times I would definitely consider making my own (spongy aftermarket front drum cables).
If anyone knows of a good supplier....

I remember once finding a source/supplier of cable wire, housing, ferrules, fittings and the lead ends for custom cable fabrication. Unfortunately I didn't save it. There are times I would definitely consider making my own (spongy aftermarket front drum cables).
If anyone knows of a good supplier....
Venhill https://www.venhillusa.com/
Looks like Flanders Cables is gone now.

Yesterday I started up the XL350 and was going to ride it to a friend's for Easter before I noticed that the tail light was vibrating around much more than normal. The bracket has fallen victim to fatigue (and likely a few bumps and bruises over its lifetime) and, being of a similar vintage, I can relate. I am going to replace the bracket, but may try welding this one at some point down the road.

U048xtk.jpg
VYbyuTF.jpg

I ordered a reproduction from Thailand through eBay and received an interesting message from the seller, vintage_001. They are [primarily] looking for original versions of seat covers, spokes, and luggage racks for a variety of vintage motorcycles and ATVs and seem to be offering a free reproduction to those who donate an original for them to copy. I don't think I'm in position to participate, but I found it interesting. Had they said CB450 spark advance springs I would be all over it!

Interesting to see the bracket crack despite being held with grommets and shouldered bolts. Rubber in the grommets hardens with age and I agree that general fatigue from being almost 50 years old combined is likely why.

I ordered a reproduction from Thailand through eBay and received an interesting message from the seller, vintage_001. They are [primarily] looking for original versions of seat covers, spokes, and luggage racks for a variety of vintage motorcycles and ATVs and seem to be offering a free reproduction to those who donate an original for them to copy. I don't think I'm in position to participate, but I found it interesting. Had they said CB450 spark advance springs I would be all over it!
They ship fast via DHL and communicate well. They replaced a clutch cable quick and didn't even want the wrong one back. I got the same message about pattern parts and wonder if they'd be interested in a list of unobtainium parts, like your springs, or say, rear CA77 sprockets.

I got the same message about pattern parts and wonder if they'd be interested in a list of unobtainium parts, like your springs, or say, rear CA77 sprockets.
I wonder. I figured they already have certain logistics worked out for the items they listed, but I imagine they might be interested in expanding operations.

I like the title of your thread being an 'Off and On project' ;)
I purchased a bike last October that needed parts and labor;I never planned on having it be an Off and On Project,but with the bike being outside(no shop,just a parking space)under a cover with all the rain that's been coming down all Winter,etc.
The other thing was a scammer selling me parts in Oct. for 1/2 the price and me waiting 5 months until I reported them to my bank. They were 'stringing me along' with 'the parts being on a ship' and tracking showing all the different locations the ship was in now (n)

I am catching up on the progress now,weather not withstanding. :rolleyes: :unsure:

Last edited:
No response to the eBay inquiry, but I am amazed that after ordering the new bracket on Monday morning, it arrived on Thursday afternoon. The bracket is intended as a replacement for several models and matches up closely where it counts, i.e., where it mounts to the rear fender and where the tail light housing mounts to the bracket. It seems no sturdier nor any flimsier than the original and did not come with any rubber vibration dampeners or any of the mounting hardware. The included tail light housing does not have a built-in spot for a ground, so I opted to swap the original housing onto the new bracket. The lens looks like it would be a direct replacement for the original.

VIa0Qe8.jpg
gULPn3y.jpg
1oIfyrV.jpg

I kind of like the fact that this bracket is black rather than chrome, which suits the paint on the bike. I'm glad this product was available.

8INcTnl.jpg
KN7TmnD.jpg

Based on an experience I had with my 450 early on in the build, you'd probably be glad you didn't use the taillight assembly that came with the bracket. It has the same look as one I bought from 2FastMoto and it came with an LED bulb. Within a few hundred miles the bulb went out, and not long after the taillight lens fell off while I was riding on a local road near my house. I found out after I got home and went back and found the lens but the tabs for the screws weren't very strong and they bent, then broke at the cheesy spotwelds. I ended up finding a used assembly from an SL175 but the money 'saved' really wasn't in the end. Ah yes, here is the passage in my voluminous build/repair disaster thread at that other site.

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Based on an experience I had with my 450 early on in the build, you'd probably be glad you didn't use the taillight assembly that came with the bracket.
Good to know. One would hope that weaknesses like that are corrected as the products are revised, but I really don't know if poor quality affects sales. We see new members all the time and I know from my own point of view that it's easy to get drawn towards products that appear to be direct replacements for things that are broken on my bike. With a constant supply of new enthusiasts the companies may not need to improve their products, but I hope they do.

At least in communities like this we can learn collectively to a certain extent, rather than individually.

Back
Top Bottom