• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Handlebar riser question

Hawksmoor

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi there, does anyone have any tips about the security of the nuts and washers that go on the bottom of the handlebar risers, below the rubber cushions? On the 450K0 I have found them to slack off under vibration; rather disconcerting. I've added some threadlock and tightened down, but is there something I am missing? I have the large collared washers on there and then a standard washer and nut. How tight should they be? Thanks

It's been my experience that they have a lock washer between the nut and large washer, though it does not show in the fiche for the K0 or even the later ones for whatever reason. If there is room on the threads for a lock washer it certainly can't hurt.

The risers appear to be a shoulder bolt type, if so the the nut and washer are tightened until the washer contacts the shoulder. Standard torque value for 8mm nuts is 13-18 ft. lbs.

Great, thanks guys, I will put on some lock washers and torque appropriately.

I think my CM400C even had cotter pins through the riser studs to prevent loss of nuts & washers.

Seems odd that you should have so much vibration through rubber mounted studs. Are the rubber grommets in good order?
Hi,Yes they are new rubber cushions and the vibration doesn't seem crazy bad. I suspect that I just didn't torque them enough.

If you’re not a stickler for correctness, Nylock nuts are a good alternative to lock washers.

Back
Top Bottom