• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Ignition plan/questions 78 cb400 tii

mwalt

Total Posts
Total likes
I'm starting work on my 78' cb400 tii build with the ignition system. The previous owner said they got no spark and their troubleshooting pointed to a bad CDI.
I'd like to list out what I have done here and ask for any help I can get.

1. Started the order process for a programmable CDI from ignitech dccdip2. That process has started by reaching out to ignitech.

2. I want to do the GM COIL mod and have purchased Duralast ignition coil part c849. Along with this I will replace the spark plug wires. Spark plug caps left 4500 Ohms right 5100 Ohms, they look new. Need to buy new wires and caps for the coil side.

3. The reg/rec. It looks like previous owner purchased a new one. There are no identifying marks on it. I do want to run a lithium ion battery. I assume I will need to replace the current Reg/rec? Can anyone provide me with recommendations on where to purchase a reg/rec that works with a lithium ion battery?

4. Ran stator tests and found:pink and green 122 Ohms, White and Blue 85 Ohms, Brown and Light Blue 219 Ohms. Yellow wires were 1.6 ohms between all 3 wires. It seems some of the numbers are off according to spec from the ignition diagnosis thread especially the Brown and Light Blue (The Brown coming from Stator looks like it faded to pink. It's the same color as the pink). Considering these numbers should I have the stator rewound?

5. The connectors are crumbling. I'll need to buy new connectors. Where is the best place to purchase these? Is there a better way to do the wiring than using connectors with spade/flat terminals?

I'll check ignition switch and safeties after I get the CDI from ignitech and get the ignition system up and installed.

Am I on the right track here? Any suggestions are most welcome!

Blanka should be sending an invoice to you tonight, they're 5 or 6 hours ahead of you. I don't bother sending emails to them Friday or Saturday since it's 8 hours for me.
Coil purchase is good. You want to just go ahead and get new plug end caps, NGK XD05F. I get them here along with plugs https://www.ngk.com/ngk-8072-xd05f-spark-plug-cap For wires I used Taylor wire core but the spiral wound type will work fine, don't buy the cheap ones from auto parts stores. 8mm wires will just barely fit the plug caps, 8.8mm won't fit.
Since that regulator is unmarked I would not use it. I'm not a fan of the Li-Ion batteries but to each his own. They are very sensitive to overcharging. I'll refer you to Jack for which one to buy http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm I use the FH020AA with my MotoBatt battery but the SH may be better for the Li-Ion.
The only pieces of the stator needed with the Ignitech module are the pickup, Brown/Lt. Blue, and the Yellow battery charge. Resistances are fine for everything you're doing.
Most of us get the connector pieces here http://www.vintageconnections.com/Products/Connectors For higher voltage/amperage circuits the flat spade is preferred over the bullet type. If both side of the spade connector are clean there's been zero problems with them. Dirty = Resistance = Heat to melt the connector.
Looks like you're on the right track. I assume you've read thru this thread https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...-Upgrades-to-the-Charging-and-Ignition-system

Thanks, Jim!
Blanka has sent me an invoice and he has been quick with responses, taking into account the time difference.

I've spoken with Jack at roadstercycle.com and, sent over a wiring diagram.

I'm glad to hear that my stator readings are withing spec. And, Thanks for the link to the connectors supplier.

I have read the ignition system thread you mentioned. Lot's of good info there. If my stator hadn't check out I would be upgrading to the Honda GL1000 stator.
Thanks again for all of your help.

Thanks again for the help starting my project. I wanted to share my experience purchasing a CDI for my 78' cb400 tii from ignitech.cz.

Overall, it was a good experience. My questions were answered promptly and, it took a couple of weeks to get the CDI. I ordered the CDI replacement on March 7th and got it in yesterday March 21st from Czechoslovakia via DHL .
It came with instructions that showed which color wire on the new CDI corresponds to the existing wires on the CB, instructions and needed software. I still need to order new connectors as the old ones on the bike are degrading. It is programmable and I got the USB to serial (I think Serial) cable needed to program it from ignitech. I'm pretty sure they send it with the correct programming but, I like to tinker.
I'm getting close to being able to start the bike!

rvpY5o6b.jpg

Attachments

• kmBtiuZ.jpg
    kmBtiuZ.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom