• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CA 77

old timer

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I sold my CB 400 A to a dealer here in Waverly. I was going to take some time and look around for my next project. He asked me to look at his CA 77. This is an unmolested all original bike with less than 300 hundred miles on it . It hasnt run for over 20 years but he said it turns over. I remember seeing a post on what to do to check out a new to me new bike but cant find it . Can some one point me in the right direction? This is new to me because all the bikes I have worked on were barn finds or came in boxes.

Thanks

Bill H

Bill, in case the old format has faded from your memory like so many of us, here is how to post pictures.

1-pic upload1.png 1-pic upload2.jpg

I would love to post photos of this bike. But so far I havent been able to post on this site. . He hasnt dropped the bike off yet . he said Sat, Sun or Mon.J-T i have only seen the bike once and I think its like a robin egg blue.The owner said it was a very rare color for Honda Will take photos as soon as it gets here.Thanks for the info. ancientdad I will try again as soon as the bike gets here.

Bill H

Havent worked on it yet. Ordered a battery and a carb kit. The throttle or twist grip wont return on its own. Might be the cables but I think the carb may be sticking. Saw a couple of wires broke off so will run them down. Ordered a FSM and I am waiting on it. Yes I could have downloaded one but I like hard copies. Will keep you posted.

Bill H

Bill, remember that some of the CA77s had the parallel pull throttle design - that one looks to have it - where the throttle pipe has a big thread inside it and those don't snap back like the standard style throttles do.

honda-ca77-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964i-1964ii-1964iii-dream-usa-142592-f-3-handle3_big3IMG01174987.jpg

Maybe one of those robins from west of the river. Very nice bike in any case. Congratulations.

Thanks J-T. anciendad again you are right and I did forget about it. On the CA 160 I rebuilt I had to replace the handle bars and couldnt find one.I used a set of bars from a different bike and had to do a lot of filing to get it to work. Dont know haw I forgot that. Must be getting old. Thanks again.

Bill H

Carb rebuilt,new points , timing set,new battery,everything works ,rebuilt petcock, fresh oil. Will do a compression test,new plugs and put the tank back on and see if it will start. Getting there. Would like to have finished but like everyone else life gets in the way

The CAs look nice . I think Honda used them to practice putting trim in the way to make their bikes harder to work on. First time I had to take the handle bars off to remove the tank. Bummer!

Bill H

I remember always having to carry a copy of my VIN number with me when I went to buy parts. There were several model changes within the same year (1965), and even buying a replacement muffler was an arduous task. They kept moving the mounting point around for some unknown reason. Mine had only a single throttle cable, as per the illustration.

Small update. Installed new battery and everything worked except the tail light. Bad bulb. Cold compression check. 123 PSI in left cylinder and 120 in the right. Points and timing set. New plugs. My rebuild on the petcock didnt work, replacement on the way. Will rig up a gas supply to start the bike with out the tank installed while waiting for the petcock . Wish me luck.

Bill H

Small gas supply from rafter. Gave the motor a drink , hit the starter and she lit right off . First time its run in over twenty years. Still needs some work but is running.:)

Bill H

Another good job, Bill - now if only you could take it around the block for old time's sake.

Thanks guys, and yes it would be nice to ride again. The collector I am working with is looking for a three wheeler for me that I can afford so maybe. Back to the Ca 77. The headlight stopped working and I traced the problem back to the high / low beam switch. One of my least loved jobs. The carb needs some adjustment so will take them on in the next couple of days. Onward.

Bill H

Done. The owner stopped by and is a happy camper.:) He has another CA 77 thats running but needs some help and a non running CA 160. Dont know which one he is dropping off . Got to keep the hands busy.

Bill H

Catching up on older threads today. Happy to see this one done and you're going to be kept busy I see.
What about a sidecar rig? Would that work and be viable? It would give you cargo hauling ability to a degree as well.

The collector has a 4 cyl 350 that was a display motor at a dealership. It is a bare motor and most of it is chrome. No carbs , stator or starter that I can see. The intake and exhausts are blanked off and it turns over. He said he will give me the motor to build what ever I want. I was wondering if you could marry that motor to an older Honda three wheel frame on the cheap. Any thoughts. He is thinking custom bike we can sell but I was thinking maybe ?

Bill H

You are right about the carbs. I found one set for about $1500.00 . I talked to Tony , the collector, about that and all the other parts just to get the motor to run and battery to charge let alone a frame to put it in etc. he said he knew some guys that race old Hondas and they had an in on a lot of parts. He would take care of it. I am going to try to work out a deal where he supplies the money and I would do the work. He has a very , very nice HD custom he said he had a $100,000 in so maybe something will come out of it. He liked how well the CB 400 A that I sold him runs and is happy with the CA 77. I think he is just feeling me out to see what kind of work I do before getting serious. He has brought several other guys around to see what we are doing . They dont talk to me but kinda look things over and talk to Tony. I am happy working on his other bikes so will see what else happens.

Bill H

Thanks ancientdad. Those of us who are a little older have been around the block a few times and have heard the wind blow before. Rich folks dont live like the rest of us so will see. If and when he drops off the next one then I will think he might be serious .
But hey I made enough money on the last one to buy a new Henry Big Boy in .357 mag caliber. Cant wait till Dec. Deer beware.

Bill H

Well its been a dry spell but today he dropped off a CA 160 . Dont know much about it yet and he has no history about it. It turns over with the kick start and there is no gas in the oil. Tank is rusted , throttle is locked up. I will move this to the 160 section.

Bill H.

that is a very nice Dream , i would be proud to be the owner.

at one time i owned 9 CA77's and have a few extra parts left over , including a spare motor. downsized over the years , now i have only one

Back
Top Bottom