• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Cycle Magazine “Five Favorite Modern Day Classics”, April 1975 Issue.

suhawk305

Total Posts
Total likes
The Five favorite motorcycles were the Honda CB77 Super Hawk, the Honda CB750K, the Yamaha DT-1, the H-D Sportster, and I can’t remember the 5th bike mentioned. This article convinced me to hang on my Super Hawk. Unfortunately, I only have this one photocopied page.
f9OFJUe.jpg

Good stuff... and I love how the Sportster was described. Not sure I believe the quarter mile time though...

Stock, the earlier XLCH Sportsters would get into the high 13s, but the later, heavier electric-start Sportsters were about a second slower. The XR1000 would get into the high 12s.

Not sure I can even imagine what it's like to go 187+ on a motorcycle. Wouldn't want to try actually doing it really.

But now I want a CB77 even more.

Yeah, I agree about the top speed limits being so expanded. I have little desire to find out what it feels like too, in large part because of the change in drivers in the last couple decades and because there are few places anywhere near me that it could be done anywhere near safely with enough room to take as many precautions as possible. I've been an indicated 140 on my first CBX and that was cool, went 120+ on a few of my 750s as well in well-chosen spots. Doing the ton these days is enough for me, it's how quick you can get there that is always the challenge. My local drag strip buddy owns modern stuff that goes ridiculous speeds and I have no desire to ride any of his no matter how often he offers.

. . . My local drag strip buddy owns modern stuff that goes ridiculous speeds and I have no desire to ride any of his no matter how often he offers.

As some of you might have read, I have a lot of this 'modern stuff'.

Yes, they are Waaay beyond most riders' capabilities and one could question WHY they have to be produced. I think we (buyers and manufacturers) still have the 70s mentality that 'horsepower sells'. This is not purely related to sports bikes though. Many will have read of Ducati's new Multistrada Pikes Peak with 'only' 170 bhp. https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a38802823/ducati-multistrada-v4-pikes-peak-review/

So the question to be asked is 'Why do we buy these things?' For me, whether it be Honda, Yamaha (R1M) or Kawasaki (H2) the motive is having what is touted as the marques best bike. Might sound egotistical, but it's a pride of possession thing, no different than our pride of the smaller bikes. Like AD, I have no desire to exploit top speeds or redlines, but there's a real joy in knowing it's there at our fingertips.

There is a long history of people modifying their machines, cars and motorcycles, to suit their imagination and push the boundaries. I applaud it all.

I just watched a documentary about these four guys who built custom motorcycles to attempt speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. It was per engine class. For example one was a dual 85cc setup to compete in the 175cc class.

Like AD, I have no desire to exploit top speeds or redlines, but there's a real joy in knowing it's there at our fingertips.

I agree it's nice to own and for knowing all that is right there on-demand. I'd probably push the envelope a little bit, can't lie about that, but another aspect of it that is just as much fun to me is the pure acceleration of that level of horsepower. You don't have to use 4th, 5th and 6th gear (if applicable) to get the enjoyment of getting up to speed as rapidly as pretty much anything sold today regardless of the number of wheels. That, in itself, has value. Now, that said... you also want to comfortable while doing those things, and life has proven to me that the posture on most of those bikes isn't a good fit for my taste. And, it's a moot point when you can't afford one anyway.

Back
Top Bottom