• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Dave's '71 CB450 Project

Tom- Here are the cams. Before I send to Mega Cycle, figured I'd get your input on the condition of the gears. I see one spot that's worn a bit on the exhaust cam (Ex Cam2.jpp, 3rd pic)

Ex Cam4.jpg

Ex Cam3.jpg

Ex Cam2.jpg

Ex Cam1.jpg

I think the intake cam looks a bit better

In Cam1.jpg

In Cam2.jpg

I've never measured shift forks in any way, simply eyeballed them for fit on the drum and for wear marks on both sides. We'd need to see side views of both sides of each fork to see how they look, but the sides I can see in the pics above don't show any of the typical marks that usually mean a fork is bent. For example (and these are radical wear/damage) like this:

20190802_163154.jpg 20190802_163016.jpg

I think the intake cam looks a bit better

We have 3 DOHC 450s going here at the same time so I'm a little muddled on how your cams look. I went back through the entire thread and don't see pics of them previously, so I'm wondering how they look. As for the sprocket wear, I've seen it many times and it's probably from letting the cam chain run loose and sloppy. I have one like it myself and I ran the wire wheel on the grinder over the teeth to smooth the sides of the teeth, it should be fine. Did you post pictures of the cam previously on another thread? I don't see any, so what little I can see of the intake cam makes me wonder why you need to send them.

I've never measured shift forks in any way, simply eyeballed them for fit on the drum and for wear marks on both sides. We'd need to see side views of both sides of each fork to see how they look, but the sides I can see in the pics above don't show any of the typical marks that usually mean a fork is bent. For example (and these are radical wear/damage) like this:

View attachment 16535 View attachment 16536

yeah, mine are in much better shape than those. Thanks for the comparison. I looked at them from a "common sense" standpoint and they don't look bad to me, but wasn't sure if eye validation was good enough. Learning as I go, thank you for that.

Fork Left A.jpg

Fork Left B.jpg

Fork Middle A.jpg

Fork Middle B.jpg

Fork Right A.jpgFork Right B.jpg

Fork1.jpg
Fork2.jpg
Fork3.jpg
Fork4.jpg

We have 3 DOHC 450s going here at the same time so I'm a little muddled on how your cams look. I went back through the entire thread and don't see pics of them previously, so I'm wondering how they look. As for the sprocket wear, I've seen it many times and it's probably from letting the cam chain run loose and sloppy. I have one like it myself and I ran the wire wheel on the grinder over the teeth to smooth the sides of the teeth, it should be fine. Did you post pictures of the cam previously on another thread? I don't see any, so what little I can see of the intake cam makes me wonder why you need to send them.

I didn't post pics previously. The reason I need to send the cams is because of the condition of the lobes. I can run mine on my grinder to help smooth out the gears a bit. If the gears were that bad, I'd take a chance on an Ebay one which probably has equally bad lobes. Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that these are worn given the condition of the rocker arm/cam followers.

Cam1.jpg

Cam2.jpg

Cam3.jpg

I showed you the side view of my shift forks because that's primarily how you evaluate them when they appear to be in good shape like yours (aside from the dial indicator on the fork tips while on the shift drum in v-blocks or however it's shown in the FSM, in other words the right way :rolleyes: ). It's next to impossible to tell if they're slightly bent when looking at them as your pictures display, because we're talking about increments like 0.010", 0.020", 0.040". The tolerances are close enough in these transmissions that if the fork is slightly bent, you'll see witness marks on the sides to some degree from the slightest touch of the gear it controls to the nasty grind like those I posted. So, let's look at the sides of them.

I showed you the side view of my shift forks because that's primarily how you evaluate them when they appear to be in good shape like yours (aside from the dial indicator on the fork tips while on the shift drum in v-blocks or however it's shown in the FSM, in other words the right way :rolleyes: ). It's next to impossible to tell if they're slightly bent when looking at them as your pictures display, because we're talking about increments like 0.010", 0.020", 0.040". The tolerances are close enough in these transmissions that if the fork is slightly bent, you'll see witness marks on the sides to some degree from the slightest touch of the gear it controls to the nasty grind like those I posted. So, let's look at the sides of them.

Got it.

Fork1.jpg

Fork2.jpg

Fork3.jpg

Fork4.jpg

Fork5.jpg

Fork6.jpg

fork7.jpg

Fork8.jpg

Okay... from what I'm able to see they look pretty good. However, on the individual close-ups of each one, many of them have that little paper tag laying right over the area where a rub mark might be. Then the shot of all 3 doesn't seem to show any marks, but of course it's further away... remember the ugly grind marks on the ones I posted pics of? It's that area I'd like to see closer up, though they seem okay. But we'd like to be completely sure, no? I don't mean to be critical, but I think we both want to be sure.

Okay... from what I'm able to see they look pretty good. However, on the individual close-ups of each one, many of them have that little paper tag laying right over the area where a rub mark might be. Then the shot of all 3 doesn't seem to show any marks, but of course it's further away... remember the ugly grind marks on the ones I posted pics of? It's that area I'd like to see closer up, though they seem okay. But we'd like to be completely sure, no? I don't mean to be critical, but I think we both want to be sure.

Yup, we sure do and I do appreciate your thoroughness. I put this bike back together and then realize I gotta take the engine out again, I won't be happy with myself.

Fork1.jpg

Fork2.jpg

Fork3.jpg

Fork4.jpg

Fork5.jpg

Fork6.jpg

Fork7.jpg

Fork8.jpg

They all look pretty good, only this one shows some wear like I was trying to describe. The tips have some excess wear on them and there's that small partial circular mark. You could probably run it as is and I doubt anything would come of it, but if you could find a good used one or even a new one it certainly couldn't hurt.

Ij96B9V.jpg

I may not have mentioned it already but the engagement dogs and corresponding mating surfaces on all the gears should be checked as well, for rounded edges on the posts as well as nicked edges on the engagement holes in gears that have them. And refresh my memory here, did you check and/or replace the large shift detent roller (aka pizza cutter) and the detent "star" on the end of the shift drum? Though they are accessible from the clutch cover and can be done later if necessary, it would be great to handle those wear items now as well for the best and most accurate shifting action in the future. In case you haven't seen it, here's the replacement of the parts in my 450 before last October's trip to SC.

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...tinuous-years-in&p=42912&viewfull=1#post42912

They all look pretty good, only this one shows some wear like I was trying to describe. The tips have some excess wear on them and there's that small partial circular mark. You could probably run it as is and I doubt anything would come of it, but if you could find a good used one or even a new one it certainly couldn't hurt.

Ij96B9V.jpg

I may not have mentioned it already but the engagement dogs and corresponding mating surfaces on all the gears should be checked as well, for rounded edges on the posts as well as nicked edges on the engagement holes in gears that have them. And refresh my memory here, did you check and/or replace the large shift detent roller (aka pizza cutter) and the detent "star" on the end of the shift drum? Though they are accessible from the clutch cover and can be done later if necessary, it would be great to handle those wear items now as well for the best and most accurate shifting action in the future. In case you haven't seen it, here's the replacement of the parts in my 450 before last October's trip to SC.

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...tinuous-years-in&p=42912&viewfull=1#post42912

Thanks. I'll check the mating surfaces as well and take a few pics. I'll keep searching for a new middle fork if I can. My first pass didn't yield anything IIRC.

I got a reworked Pizza cutter from Chris.

The detent "Star" will be new. I bought the 500 assembly so I could rob that part.

Thanks. I'll check the mating surfaces as well and take a few pics. I'll keep searching for a new middle fork if I can. My first pass didn't yield anything IIRC.

I got a reworked Pizza cutter from Chris.

The detent "Star" will be new. I bought the 500 assembly so I could rob that part.

Good, wasn't sure since it's been a bit. (y)

Assemble the parts into the upper crankcase, then turn the shift drum into the different gear positions and see what you have for engagement. With the trans in various gears, try to pull apart the mating gear dogs with your fingers, there should be 50% or more engagement between the dogs for it to stay reliably in gear under power.

Back
Top Bottom