• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Seized Centre Stand/Brake Lever Axle

supersim65

Total Posts
Total likes
The original frame for my CD200 is in a sorry state. The rust on the subframe is worse that I woud like ride on.

As it happens though, I did pick up a replacement frame for a reasonable price. Needs some restoration, but is in structurally good condition. Unfortunately though, the axle that supports the foot brake lever and the centre stand is seized to the centre stand. Some idiot (me) had a good go at getting the axle out with some different lubricants, some heat and a hammer, and damaged the end of the axle too.

Is there ever any chance of getting that axle out do you think? (I'd be happy to consult a professional this time.)

Otherwise, do you think I can ask my facourite metal coating facility to sandblast and powder coat the frame without removing the centre stand? That doesn't feel like a decent job to me.

PXL_20220201_161440201.jpg

the simple way (if there's enough space) would be to cut off the pivot shaft on either side of the centerstand since the shaft is no longer useful anyway. A sawzall or reciprocating hacksaw would probably make short work of it

Looks a bit dry in the picture, have you put some sort of penetrating oil on it yet? One thing I would try would be to secure the frame so it can't move and put a pipe wrench on the end and try to turn it, using a cheater pipe if necessary.

Lay is on it's side so the axle is vertical, add penetrating oil every hour for 2-3 days along with tapping the shaft and stand. After 3 days of this use a torch to heat the center stand while banging on it with large hammer followed by a pipe wrench once the stand starts glowing red.

LDR has the right idea. Along with his suggestion; try using an air hammer, go from one side to the other. Lubricate as you go.

Heres an example of what one looks like and the different tools (ends).
The one in the photo is a HF model, goes for $17. Should do the trick, but if you’re after more power and expense; there’s professional ones selling for upwards of $200.
If you’ve never used one, they are noisy. Wear hearing protection.
Good luck!

Attachments

• EEE8CFE2-D0D7-4776-8948-A57277E89DAC.jpeg
    EEE8CFE2-D0D7-4776-8948-A57277E89DAC.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 38E60D41-D555-4658-AF6A-F3A4DFCD015A.jpeg
    38E60D41-D555-4658-AF6A-F3A4DFCD015A.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 2
I've been jinxed!:angry:

Read this post the other day and thought to myself, what an inconvenience; the final thing to remove from the frame.

Just this morning, while doing a final strip down of my UK CB175, I've struck exactly the same thing. Pivot shaft is bonded to the centre stand!

As LDR has suggested above, I now have the frame on its side with generous sprays of Penetrene.

I had a similar issue on my CB175K4, but eventually managed to remove it. In my case, it was because it was bent, rather than rusted in. I got a replacement from DS, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the new part, a nicely machined solid bar, much superior to the mangled bit of pipe originally fitted. Not sure if Honda upped their game later on, or whether DS had actually sourced an aftermarket part.

cdJrpNN.jpg

Back
Top Bottom