• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Clutch plate question CL77

Flyin900

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
My clutch pack has only 5 fiber discs, so were there different versions of this clutch assembly?

I am going to replace the clutch fiber plates after a measurement indicates they are close to worn out. Online sellers offer kits with 6 friction discs and the CMSL fiche shows two separate replacement clutch fiber parts numbers using 6 pcs and one last listing showing only 5 discs required. When I count the friction plates on the CMSL parts fiche picture only 5 fiber plates are shown as being used.

Any thoughts on the differences?

Thanks Jim,

My engine is ********34K range, so well after that low number. So possibly the early ones used 6 discs and later ones used 5 plates. I ordered a shipment of items from DSS and included 5 discs since they sold individual replacement Japanese made friction discs, so hopefully they are a good fit.

I was reading something yesterday about the change over to thicker frictions eliminating the 6th one. Got distracted and can't find it again. May be something from Bill Silvers book?

Yes I am digging a little further myself and it seems the 6 plate ones are 3.0 mm thick; where the 5 plate ones are 3.7 mm's+

I measured mine and they are about 3.6 mm in thickness, so I did find a reseller I have bought parts from with a 5 pack kit with 3.7 mm thickness. Awaiting to hear from DSS as I contacted them about a pending order with 5 or possibly the wrong plates on the order.

These bikes are tricky for sure with many sub ceded parts and interchangable parts, so someone with experience on these early Honda's is much appreciated.

Yes, and I wish Bill Silver would check in again to help with some of these questions. Our experienced members are few when it comes to the 72/77s

The 6 plate clutches have thinner steel plates and friction plates, plus the machining on the inner hubs are different so that the retainer wires are located correctly for the different clutch plate combos. A 34k bike should have the later 5 plate clutch with the outer clutch pressure plate having angled holes to release trapped oil.

^^^And there he is. (y) In all fairness, he had computer trouble recently but we're glad to see him back.

Bill, Thank you for that info and yes my outer clutch pressure plate has the angled holes.

So, is there a correct set of friction plates available online for this later set of 5 pcs? There is an online seller who normally has a 5 pc set of plates with 3.7 mm friction thickness. He is O/S presently.

The DSS clutch plates I was about to order were for the CL77 motors serial number under 2K, which mine is way above that at 34K, so those plates were apparently incorrect.

My plates average 3.6mm where the Clymer shop manual shows 4.7 mm as a new plate and 4.0 mm as out of spec. So that is confusing too. There were a number of configurations of these clutches it seems.

My plates average 3.6mm where the Clymer shop manual shows 4.7 mm as a new plate and 4.0 mm as out of spec. So that is confusing too. There were a number of configurations of these clutches it seems.

Along with the usual inaccuracies in aftermarket manuals.

Honda Clutch plates

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265496071651 which is about a million dollars in Canadian money. Vesrah was making nice replacement plates, but they seem to be hard to source now.

Yes, it is confusing as Honda offered 4,5,6 plate clutches in the 250-305 range starting back in 1960. 22201-268-020 is the part number required for the later CB/CL 77s.

Bill, Thank you for that info and yes my outer clutch pressure plate has the angled holes.

So, is there a correct set of friction plates available online for this later set of 5 pcs? There is an online seller who normally has a 5 pc set of plates with 3.7 mm friction thickness. He is O/S presently.

The DSS clutch plates I was about to order were for the CL77 motors serial number under 2K, which mine is way above that at 34K, so those plates were apparently incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom