• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1968 Ward Riverside 125

redfalken

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I've been looking for a new non-Honda project to keep me busy this summer. Either a tiddler bike or a top tank moped. Something I can customize depending on the condition. The cheaper the better!

This one below has been listed for awhile. I haven't called yet to see what he wants for it but I like the styling. Seat is trashed so I could do something interesting there. While it was sold through Montgomery Ward, it's base is an Italian Benelli from what I gather. My only concern is parts availability, at least what might be needed to rebuild the engine, carbs, etc. Anyone have any experience with these bikes?

ward_riverside_1.jpeg ward_riverside_2.jpeg

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-italian-project-bike-1960s/7429174014.html

And, if anyone around the Seattle/Washington/Oregon area has a lead on a small bike or moped, let me know. Moped Army has a local branch and a place called Magic Touch Moped is close by and I plan on stopping by soon to see if they have any leads.

I would snag this $850 Puch on eBay if it wasn't on the other side of the country.

puch.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284581737316?hash=item424264b364:g:ypwAAOSwDkFhM4hy

I've been looking for a new non-Honda project to keep me busy this summer. Either a tiddler bike or a top tank moped. Something I can customize depending on the condition. The cheaper the better!

This one below has been listed for awhile. I haven't called yet to see what he wants for it but I like the styling. Seat is trashed so I could do something interesting there. While it was sold through Montgomery Ward, it's base is an Italian Benelli from what I gather. My only concern is parts availability, at least what might be needed to rebuild the engine, carbs, etc. Anyone have any experience with these bikes?

I went to high school with a guy who owned one, bought new by his parents for him (probably on the store charge card). He had regular trouble with it, hard to get started every single day after school though it could easily have been his total inexperience with bikes. In digging back in the memory banks I was thinking the Riverside bikes were based on the same platform the Sears bikes were, but after a quick search I think the Sears bikes were based on Mondials because they shared the same engine sizes (106 and 124).

I like that Sport Bike model too! Cool old ad. The one thing that worries me most is spending more time tracking down parts and keeping it running than riding it around. But I will try to call this week and at least see what he thinks it's worth.

I went to high school with a guy who owned one, bought new by his parents for him (probably on the store charge card). He had regular trouble with it, hard to get started every single day after school though it could easily have been his total inexperience with bikes. In digging back in the memory banks I was thinking the Riverside bikes were based on the same platform the Sears bikes were, but after a quick search I think the Sears bikes were based on Mondials because they shared the same engine sizes (106 and 124).

I think the Sears 106 and 124 were made by Gilera. Some of the other Sears models were made by Puch.

02FDAA21-959A-44C9-951F-0F8A12253EBA.jpeg

I think the Sears 106 and 124 were made by Gilera. Some of the other Sears models were made by Puch.

You're right, and it was Gilera I was trying to remember. The engine sizes are a dead giveaway. we also had a guy in high school who had a Sears 106 and he got laughed at regularly by those who owned any Japanese bike and even the one guy who owned a Triumph twin (another bike that the owner had trouble getting started after school)

You're right, and it was Gilera I was trying to remember. The engine sizes are a dead giveaway. we also had a guy in high school who had a Sears 106 and he got laughed at regularly by those who owned any Japanese bike and even the one guy who owned a Triumph twin (another bike that the owner had trouble getting started after school)
I rode a Honda Sport 50 to high school my first two years, and got the 350 my senior year. Not too many of us regularly rode to school, but I remember only one non-Japanese bike in the parking area, and that was a Sears 106. There was me on the 50, the Sears, a Honda S65, a Honda 90, a couple Honda S90s, a Honda CB160 with the D kit, a Honda CL77 (BMOC), a Yamaha 250 Big Bear, a Yamaha Twin Jet 100, and a few smaller Yamaha singles. I don’t recall any Kawasakis or Suzukis. When I showed up my senior year with the CL350, I was the BMOC for a while, and then someone showed up with a Black Bomber.

The Wards has a definite cool factor. I love the little bikes too. This was my first resto, not including a Motobecane moped, and still a blast to ride.

2UaFURWl.jpg

A friend of Mine had 175cc Allstate, made by Puch. It was a two-stroke "twingle", two pistons sharing a common combustion chamber and spark plug. The rear hole was fed by the carb and the exhaust port was in the front.

A friend of Mine had 175cc Allstate, made by Puch. It was a two-stroke "twingle", two pistons sharing a common combustion chamber and spark plug. The rear hole was fed by the carb and the exhaust port was in the front.
I think this is similar to the Bridgestone 90, also a two stroke. I've been offered one for $250 and the guy is willing to deliver. Kicks over, has all the parts and side covers too, just been a little paint faded and out in the weather. The guy sold it to a friend and three friends and sales/trades later it's come back in pieces, used to be mint he said. Makes him frustrated to talk about it but gonna get it going again.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Might be able to find parts from http://treatland.tv you can try emailing them as well to see what they can find. They mostly deal with euro mopeds but they do sell slightly bigger bike parts too. Considering its Italian it might be your best bet in the US.

Back
Top Bottom