• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

'69 CB350 rear fender stripped thread repair suggestions?

ausman1000

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Currently I have the blinker's removed and the fender attached to the frame with a bolt washer spacer and nut.
I would like to get the fender thread useable again so I can get back to the original arrangement with the proper shoulder bolts shown.
What are my best options?

p.jpgaa.jpg

Options I see:
1) cut the nut off the fender and weld a new one on. This will likely damage the chrome.
2) take the fender to a machine shop to have install a Time Sert, not a Heli Coil.
3) get another fender.

Options I see:
1) cut the nut off the fender and weld a new one on. This will likely damage the chrome.
2) take the fender to a machine shop to have install a Time Sert, not a Heli Coil.
3) get another fender.
I'll have to read up and familiarize myself with the Time Sert option. Thought about welding a nut on the backside of fender but shoulder nut thread not longer enough to reach. I need to get it back to being a M8 thread if possible.

Options I see:
3) get another fender.

I just re-read your post and figured out what you mean about cutting off the nut. I never looked close enough to realize it basically is a nut attached to the fender. I just assumed the fender was built up to a thicker material at that point and a thread machined into it. The fender is still attached to the bike so I never got to see a close up view to see the construction detail till just now.

Just cut the nut off the fender and use an loose nut with a star washer in its place. There’s no need to weld a new nut on the fender.

What I would do is weld over the old worn threaded nut, and then drill and tap a new thread. Again, this is a more expensive machine shop option (if you don't have or can borrow the equipment) but it does give you the satisfaction of having the fender restored to approximate original condition.

Oh, and grab a new rear tire whilst your wallet's out!!:lol:

What I would do is weld over the old worn threaded nut, and then drill and tap a new thread. Again, this is a more expensive machine shop option (if you don't have or can borrow the equipment) but it does give you the satisfaction of having the fender restored to approximate original condition.

Oh, and grab a new rear tire whilst your wallet's out!!:lol:

You never heard of boot polish? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom