Thread: Wanted: 60's CB450

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wanted: 60's CB450

Im looking for a CB450 Black Bomber preferably one thats all there and original. Not running OK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hondadream View Post
    Im looking for a CB450 Black Bomber preferably one thats all there and original. Not running OK
    Join the queue!!
    1970 CB175 K4 (UK version)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    Agreed, even just finding an affordable Bomber in somewhat to fairly complete condition is a success, running or not - and either way it likely won't be that inexpensive
    (move along, nothing to see here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It depends on the condition and what you consider affordable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hondadream View Post
    It depends on the condition and what you consider affordable.
    Absolutely, and I was commenting from a mostly-broke retired guy's financial capability.... because I'd LOVE to have one but can't even afford a reasonably priced Bomber since they are usually in excess of $1500 in poor condition with a clear title, and then the copious dollars to make it decent obviously follow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    . . . and then the copious dollars to make it decent obviously follow
    Yes, that is the catch. How many of us have a plan and figure in mind for a resto and then find we've shelved out double even before we're half way through? Sure, there has to be an element of control, but even replacing or plating a few nuts and bolts can get out of hand . . . or so it does with me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaholic View Post
    Yes, that is the catch. How many of us have a plan and figure in mind for a resto and then find we've shelved out double even before we're half way through? Sure, there has to be an element of control, but even replacing or plating a few nuts and bolts can get out of hand . . . or so it does with me!
    Well hopefully someone will see his intent to buy one and offer one up, or a lead to one, from this thread. Certainly can't have enough Bombers on this forum.

Administrator LongDistanceRider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,924 Posts
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T aka the Roadbike, 1978 CB400T1 semi restored, 1972 CL350K4 restoration and the 1971 SL350K1 disaster zone.
    Plus 2 SL350K0's , 2 SL350K1's, 1 CL350K0 and 1 CL350K1 waiting for space and time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Wow! Some really nice stuff in the Fredericksburg listing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    Wow! Some really nice stuff in the Fredericksburg listing.
    That one Frankenbike CL, maybe CB450 with what looks to be CB450K1 tank and CL450K5 mufflers and fenders... ugh. And then the 2 CB350s turned into CL with separate upswept pipes like the CB450D... the other bikes look pretty good though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I generally opt for bikes that people haven't started working on because of my labor rate compared to everyone elses perceived labor rate and not considering the head start most would give me as an advantage or up to my standards.

I then set a ridiculous budget then I am excited if I come in under. lol. All joking aside, I would rather a project go over budget or schedule rather than skip something I think the bike needs - relatively speaking, parts are cheap compared to the other possible outcomes. To keep myself honest, I run a spreadsheet covering all expenses, any discounts, shipping etc including the purchase prices of the bikes. I itemize unique parts but not garage consumables, special tools required (for example, an ignition coil or wheel bearing would be added up, things like heat shrink tubing and grease are not). In this current project which is a 1971 CB450 for my personal use, not to resell or make a profit, this also allows me to track what I have ordered, need things that are identified along the way as well as suppliers and vendor part numbers as applicable for future reference.

When a new bike follows me home (which is what happened here), I populate the spreadsheet with things I know I will always do, electrics, tubes, tires, rim strips, brakes and cables, chains and sprockets - that sort of stuff. I don't spend much time evaluating if I NEED a $50, I just plan to buy it. Then I look at the big red number on the page and estimate home much incidental overage there will be based on the condition and what I KNOW about the current condition of the engine and walk out in the garage with that number and a gin and tonic and stare at the bike. If it makes me happy, I put it on the lift, make some calls to get parts on the way, put on my shop apron and get to it. If I don't feel anything when I look at the bike, I move it along to someone else because I know that isn't the bike for me.
    Lee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Well said, Lee.

I also run a similar spreadsheet that includes everything, with deductions for any parts I might sell off a given bike. Good for us to keep track, but also a great 'value add' to any subsequent potential buyer!

I think some stem cell research might evidence a family link for I too rely heavily on the 'emotional attachment'; a subject I have touched on in another thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    Well, here's hoping this thread brings the OP a Bomber he wants. And it becomes another build thread here so we can watch and follow along. And I can drool, yet again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Well said, Lee.

I also run a similar spreadsheet that includes everything, with deductions for any parts I might sell off a given bike. Good for us to keep track, but also a great 'value add' to any subsequent potential buyer!

I think some stem cell research might evidence a family link for I too rely heavily on the 'emotional attachment'; a subject I have touched on in another thread.
    I hadn't really considered that. I picked up a few parts bikes when I got this. I only paid $100 for the pair so there is probably value there I could deduct.
    Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    Since this is the "Wanted" post for the OP, let's continue elsewhere in case he gets a lead on one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Since this is the "Wanted" post for the OP, let's continue elsewhere in case he gets a lead on one.
    LDR has kindly provided two leads in post #8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Well said, Lee.

I once started a spreadsheet - soon gave up, I'd rather bury my head in the sand, too depressing to see how much I'd spent.

Equally depressing is an article in this months 'Motorcycle Mechanics', breaking a Hornet to sell as parts. Apparently, the engine is so reliable that there is no second hand market for them, and the guy just sent it for scrap.

And in the same mag, a CB450 resto series. Chap has just removed the valve covers to reveal a bone dry top end, doesn't sound healthy to me but he's not worried.
    1972 CL175K7
    1970 CB174K4, 'upgraded' to a K6 alike
    1971 SL175, with a few non standard parts !
    1998 CB600 Hornet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pitman View Post
    I once started a spreadsheet - soon gave up, I'd rather bury my head in the sand, too depressing to see how much I'd spent.

Equally depressing is an article in this months 'Motorcycle Mechanics', breaking a Hornet to sell as parts. Apparently, the engine is so reliable that there is no second hand market for them, and the guy just sent it for scrap.

And in the same mag, a CB450 resto series. Chap has just removed the valve covers to reveal a bone dry top end, doesn't sound healthy to me but he's not worried.
    Sad about the Hornets, and after all these years the DOHC 450 is getting worked on by people who know nothing about their history and weaknesses.

We now return to the OP's "Wanted: 60s CB450" post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Here is a new listing on ebay. It looks good for the price.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/16528718495...MAAOSw9ARh5Hon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pemdoc65 View Post
    Here is a new listing on ebay. It looks good for the price.
    Yes, but the 'price' is a starting bid. Still, it looks all in tact, but does show the signs of storage blemishes. And who the heck fitted the handlebars?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Interesting question by the original poster giving no idea of what he considers a reasonable price. The EBay bike sold for $4200 US and in my experience, even doing a rider quality bike will add 50-100% to that price. No such thing as a cheap BB anymore with many exceeding $10K+ now when fully restored.

I agree with the emotional connection, yet I also consider the value on working on something new and learning about its design and quirks. After the restoration if it doesn’t speak to me, or I get tired of the ride then I move it along to a happy new owner and pick another project.

Happy hunting your BB.
    1966 CL77 - 305cc - Gentleman's Scrambler
    1967 CL175K0 - Scrambler #802 engine
    1972 CB350F - Candy Bacchus Olive - Super Sport
    1973 CB350F - Flake Matador Red - Super Sport
    1975 CB400F - Parakeet Yellow - Super Sport
    1976 GL1000 - Goldwing Standard
    1978 CB550K - Super Sport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I started out looking for a rebuildable solid bike and was hitting figures that would buy me a really nice 305 Super Hawk ready to ride. After a long search, I finally bit the bullet and paid up for a Bomber with receipts and a very honest and open builder that I paid up for, almost double what I had intended. Really well done machine, only issue was floats set too high that wouldn’t let the bike run out over half throttle but once that was sorted, runs very nicely. Juggled the original gearing some to make it more cruising rider friendly as I’m not looking to race it or turn the RPM’s into the upper ranges very often. 6000-7000 suits me very well. An oil pump upgrade this winter as I probably have too much invested to ever resell the bike and should be an occasional weekend cruiser for me in the coming years. Good luck to the thread owner, hope you locate what you’re looking for.