• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Best Wiring Diagram 1970 CL 450

450guy

Total Posts
Total likes
Is there an absolute best wiring diagram for the 1970 CL 450 ? I would like one that is fairly large and color coded. Does anyone make one ? If not then at least which wiring diagram is the best ?
Thank you
Johnny

Did you look in the FSM for the bike? I know it isn't in color and we don't have a color-coded one for the K1 and up 450s, but the FSM does have one in it. Most of us here know the wire colors by heart so if you need to know a specific color's function all you have to do is ask. Here are some common ones.

Black - ignition ON power from the switch to the harness
Green - ground
Yellow with Red stripe - electric start wire from the button, delivers ground from the handlebars to activate the solenoid
Solid White (in headlight case) - low beam
Blue (in headlight case) - high beam
Light green - horn wire from the button, grounds to the bars
Light green with red stripe - neutral switch wire, gets ground at the neutral switch to turn on the bulb which already has power
Red/Red with white stripe - gets 12v from the battery to feed the wiring harness

Thank you Ancientdad !! I may just make one from the one shown in the manual and color code it myself. I'm old and can't see worth a crap unless it's right up on me.
Johnny

Thank you Ancientdad !! I may just make one from the one shown in the manual and color code it myself. I'm old and can't see worth a crap unless it's right up on me.
Johnny

I don't know about the wiring diagram you are looking for but my general practice is to have the local office supply store scan the wiring diagram that I have and blow it up to a large format. Then I borrow my kids colored markers and a ruler and I carefully color code the diagram myself. Then I just use a magnet a stick it to the frame while I work.
IMG_0347.jpg

In this color coded diagram I see that the battery shows the negative just goes straight to ground where as on my bike and on the FSM diagram it shows the negative that goes to the battery is in the wiring harness and it goes to other places other than just straight to ground. Is there a big difference because of that ?
Thank you
Johnny

Remember that there is a green wiring harness ground wire and a heavy ground cable for the load of the electric start. The green harness ground should be a ring terminal on a 6mm bolt somewhere near the battery box that provides ground for the harness and it gets that ground from the frame by way of the heavy ground cable. I just looked at the diagram and it doesn't show the green wire with ring terminal so I can see how it would be confusing. Look around for it near the battery under the seat, you should be able to find it.

Thank you, I kinda think I follow you. I will follow up with more questions I feel certain.
Johnny

Ok now I see said the blind man !!! I don't have the ground wire that goes from the frame to the battery negative side. I have been grounding the the green ring terminal straight to the negative side of the battery. I suspect that the folks who were stripping this bike that I now have had removed that cable along with so many other things that I have slowly been getting together to put this ole girl back on the road. I will ground that green ring wire to the frame and then add a green wire from the battery to the frame. Does that sound correct ?
Johnny

It's the right idea, but it will need to be a heavy gauge cable to one of the motor mount bolts if you plan to use the electric start, the green harness wire can go directly to the battery but it is far too small a gauge to handle the starter motor draw. Here is a picture of what it looks like and the part number to search for, you can probably find one on eBay from bikes that have been parted out/scrapped. It's number 8 in the fiche, part number 32601-292-000

honda-cl450-scrambler-1970-k3-usa-batteryrectifier-magnetic-switch_bighu0030f6s25_f613.jpg

In fact, here's one on eBay for a reasonable price - https://www.ebay.com/itm/373775130614?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I would love a proper copy of your wiring diagram?

I don't know about the wiring diagram you are looking for but my general practice is to have the local office supply store scan the wiring diagram that I have and blow it up to a large format. Then I borrow my kids colored markers and a ruler and I carefully color code the diagram myself. Then I just use a magnet a stick it to the frame while I work.
View attachment 11982

I'm sure that many of us would like a copy of your colored 450 wiring diagram. Could you possibly do a scan and make it PDF format?
I for one would be much obliged.

Back
Top Bottom