• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Original brake pads - Asbestos RISK?

Flyin900

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
The CL77 has the original brake pads with about 30% brake friction material left and 15.5K on the clock, so that seems correct. The shoes have Honda motors logo on them too.

I would expect that these shoes had asbestos, as part of the mixture in the friction material? So outside cleaning of the drum and brake plate with a mask is in order.

I am planning on replacing both with new and modern shoes as the build progresses.

Yeah, during that period I'm sure they had asbestos in them. In the late '70s while working at the City garage, we were issued roll-around washing stations that used a water washdown to rinse the dust from car discs and drums into a collection tub so it wouldn't get in the air. Wear a mask when you dump and clean out the drums.

Yes, asbestos indeed, especially the dust that gathers in the drum is very dangerous. Just a mask won't do, you need a FFP3 or FFP4. Even better is to avoid dust, and put the drum and plate in a bucket of water and clean with a brush under water while wearing a FFP3 mask. If you have the wheels apart from the bike, rinse with water. Make sure the water is directed to your sewer-system.

I do use a dual filter respirator N 95 rated for volatile and organic compounds. I don't know if that is the same as your European spec FFP3/4?

Thanks though, as I wanted to confirm my suspicions on the brake shoes.

From personal experience if you did get some asbestos into a lung and it hooked in then your body would slowly calcify it. I know because I have a very small calcification in my right lung. Has been noted on x-rays, scanned by the CT machines and it hasn't gone anywhere or grown in all the years its been tracked. I have been exposed to brake dust, construction dust, insulation dust etc etc. As a matter of fact fine particle dust has contributed to my heart issues far more than any lung issue although it all entered through my lungs. The asbestos at least at the decency to stay in my lung ... LOL.

Now if I had lungs full of those calcifications I would be in trouble. It is good to take precautions but reality is something else is very much more likely to take you out than the dust from those old brake shoes.

From personal experience if you did get some asbestos into a lung and it hooked in then your body would slowly calcify it. I know because I have a very small calcification in my right lung. Has been noted on x-rays, scanned by the CT machines and it hasn't gone anywhere or grown in all the years its been tracked. I have been exposed to brake dust, construction dust, insulation dust etc etc. As a matter of fact fine particle dust has contributed to my heart issues far more than any lung issue although it all entered through my lungs. The asbestos at least at the decency to stay in my lung ... LOL.

Now if I had lungs full of those calcifications I would be in trouble. It is good to take precautions but reality is something else is very much more likely to take you out than the dust from those old brake shoes.

I understand that you, with your experience, think differently, and that's fine, but your experience is just one, it's all about statistics in the real world. Taking simple precautions is what matters, it's not that difficult.

I do use a dual filter respirator N 95 rated for volatile and organic compounds. I don't know if that is the same as your European spec FFP3/4?

Please, don't use a N95 mask, go for an N99 or N100 instead.

The closest European equivalent to N95 are FFP2 or P2 rated respirators. The latter are only rated at 94%, compared to the 95% of N95.

The N100 (99,97%) is closest to the P3 rated respirators (which are 99,95%). The N99 and FFP3 are both rated at least 99%.

You'll need a resprator that is rated at least 99% ;)

Back
Top Bottom