• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Engine sound check - is the ticking normal?

rigamortus76

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi all,

I've been plugging away at a 1982 CB450T and, thanks to all the amazing resources I found here, I think I have it pretty well sorted out, at least for my purposes (local rides, commuting, country roads, no real long distance). It only has around 15,000 miles, but it did sit unused in an unheated shed in Canada for quite a few years and needed a bit of love. It seems to run well now though, lots of power and smooth cruising.

However, I'm not really familiar with what these engines are ideally supposed to sound like, so I wanted to get your opinions on that before I really call it good.

The main thing is the "ticking" sound I hear which is mostly only discernible at idle, and seems to get slightly louder when hot. I assume it's valve noise, and from what I've gathered, this engine is a bit "ticky" anyway, so I'm not sure if it's anything to worry about. I've checked/set the valve adjustment using the proper procedure several times over last summer and it has never changed what it sounds like.

Here are a couple of short videos:

[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8hsxkhjbj3yop4/20211230_182156.mp4?dl=0

[/URL]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axqq6agat7uxbp0/20211230_182112.mp4?dl=0

What do you think? Does that engine sound more or less "normal", or should I be concerned?

Let me know if I can provide any other info to help, and thanks for any guidance you can provide!

- Nathan

I don't hear anything outrageously loud, in fact it's pretty quiet as our older twins go. You will hear a little bit of valve tick because they are mechanical and not hydraulic, but yours sounds pretty good. As long as you're sure of the valve adjustment (so they're not tight which can eventually lead to a burned valve) then you should be fine. Others who know this engine better in general will weigh in (balancer noise, etc).

It sounds a little more clunky than I remember but not by a whole lot.

Did you already check valve clearance and set cam chain and balancer chain?

It sounds a little more clunky than I remember but not by a whole lot.

Did you already check valve clearance and set cam chain and balancer chain?

Yes, I've made sure the valves were set properly several times. Both chain tensions have been set according to the FSM as well.

I had to rotate the stopper plate for the balancer chain adjustment a bit, but there is still plenty of room before the chain needs replaced, going by the position of the punch mark in there.

Back
Top Bottom