• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Intake manifold / insulator for SL350K1 - my solution!

Mikepacific60

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Hi all,
I thought I’d asked a question about possible replacements for the intake manifolds for the SL350K1 - can’t find that so here is a new thread with my solution.
Long and short of it is my stock manifolds are hard as a rock, despite efforts to soften them up and new ones aren’t available.
I had sourced alternative manifolds - essentially an alloy mount with a slip over boot to connect the carby’s - while I have no doubt that would have worked, it would have looked out of place and, while it probably wouldn’t have mattered, it would have pushed the carbs back (maybe 1/2” or so).

This is my solution:
I purchased a new set of CB350 manifolds (readily available). The stud pattern is the same as the SL, but the openings at both ends of the manifold are much bigger than the SL ones. So I made a sleeve to go over the throat of the carby’s that matches the intake shape of the CB manifold (will epoxy that onto the carb throats) and made a sleeve to go in the head side of the rubber manifold to match the internal dimensions of the throat of the carbs (I can’t actually take credit for the machining of these sleeves, an old mate & I did it on his lathe - a good learning experience for me.)

Here is a photo of the bits (doesn’t look like much, but took us quite a while to make them):

4A13A995-7860-4A1E-9D71-BB410960A935.jpg

Cheers
Mike

Excellent idea and execution.
This can be adapted to the CM 400A insulators also since those have hit unobtainium status a few years ago as well.

Now a sticky

Back
Top Bottom