• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Seat cover

I do rather like it better now. I tend to think stock seats can look fairly fat and dumpy. Not always though.

Mine was particularly dumpy looking. When I took the foam off, which was quite degraded, I discovered the seat pan was a little bowed out too.

At any rate... Been on the fence about an aftermarket seat. I had actually ordered a slightly lower profile one from Bike Factory. But they never delivered and failed to respond to all forms of contact. So I filed a claim with PayPal and got my money back.

This looks good enough to let that ride for a bit to consider.

I do rather like it better now. I tend to think stock seats can look fairly fat and dumpy. Not always though.

Mine was particularly dumpy looking. When I took the foam off, which was quite degraded, I discovered the seat pan was a little bowed out too.

At any rate... Been on the fence about an aftermarket seat. I had actually ordered a slightly lower profile one from Bike Factory. But they never delivered and failed to respond to all forms of contact. So I filed a claim with PayPal and got my money back.

This looks good enough to let that ride for a bit to consider.

Well, I wanted it on mine because I wanted the illusion that the bike came with that seat and tank combo (though so few people even know that the engine is a 450 it didn't really matter in the end, no illusion if the participants are so unfamiliar). I bought a stencil from a guy on eBay and it turned out decent.

20170325_172252.jpg

I picked this seat cover up on eBay: CB350 CB450 1969-70 New seat cover Honda CB 350 super sport K1 K2 149 | eBay

Overall, I'm impressed. It feels thick and well put together. And... it does in fact fit exactly. If you'd asked before and during putting it on, I would have had some doubts. I also had to replace all the foam. If there is lack of fit, that could be my fault.

View attachment 11843View attachment 11844View attachment 11845

Just curious. Was your foam a bunch of glued together blocks in a sort of grid next to the pan and a soft layer on top of that? BTW I think you helped me solve the mystery seat identity on my Blue Dream project. Nice job.

Just curious. Was your foam a bunch of glued together blocks in a sort of grid next to the pan and a soft layer on top of that? BTW I think you helped me solve the mystery seat identity on my Blue Dream project. Nice job.

Yes. There was a solid upper layer with a grid of blocks underneath that. Much of the sides and some of the top was crumbling away.

I used cushion foam, and a firmer batting like foam. We'll see how it holds up over time. Fingers crossed. No idea where to get that hard foam... Or if it was always hard or just got that way after 50 years.

Yes. There was a solid upper layer with a grid of blocks underneath that. Much of the sides and some of the top was crumbling away.

I used cushion foam, and a firmer batting like foam. We'll see how it holds up over time. Fingers crossed. No idea where to get that hard foam... Or if it was always hard or just got that way after 50 years.

The glue was dried out and the blocks had fallen over/out of place so I reglued with contact cement and some thin wire to hold together, added some slices of black foam rubber pipe insulation in the voids (where your butt bones hit), then put a new 3/4 inch top layer of white foam. Good, firm.

8ZnH49D.jpg

The glue was dried out and the blocks had fallen over/out of place so I reglued with contact cement and some thin wire to hold together, added some slices of black foam rubber pipe insulation in the voids (where your butt bones hit), then put a new 3/4 inch top layer of white foam. Good, firm.

Like the kind that insulates AC lines? That's a pretty good idea.

I tossed all the original material. Your technique would have been easier for the bottom layer.

I've bought seat covers from gumtwo a couple of times and the products had been exactly what I wanted. Fine value, good price, good service.

I wanted to add to this thread.

Still satisfied with the cover. Not so much my foam replacement.

To those doing this, from what I gather two types of foam are often used.

One is an open cell foam, rated at 40lbs load or more. Bottom layer is a firmer closed cell. Both can be found on Amazon. Though for the closed cell, it would take some layers because I couldn't find anything thicker than 1/2".

Or just a firmer open cell.

Or... Do what ballbearian did and use pipe insulation for the bottom layer. Most of which is closed cell.

I ended up buying another seat. But someday when I'm bored I'll put the right foam in and get someone to weld a repair to the seat pan.

Or I'll hang it on the wall next to the damaged rear wheel. So I look like a motorcycle guy and all.

Back
Top Bottom