• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

A confusing wiring problem (involving lights on a CB450)

Hawksmoor

Total Posts
Total likes
Who's up for a complex wiring question? I totally understand if you're not, it is the holidays, after all.
My bike is a bit of a frankenstein but essentially it's a CB450 K0 Bomber. It has a bomber loom and all the lights and instruments are Bomber too. Only thing is, I have a K1 ignition switch. Reason is, I can't afford a K0 one and I have a nice condition K1 switch which is already on there, with keys. I've been wiring everything up for a while and mostly things are working well, but I can't get all my lights on at the same time. In key position one the ignition, headlight work but taillight does not. In position 2 taillight works but ignition and headlight do not. I would like to have all the lights and ignition working on a key position and, if possible, just ignition working on the other key position (so I don't need an extra light switch). I have never been able to get the neutral light working but all other instrument lights do work. Currently the Brown/White wire from the ignition switch is not connected to anything. I have a hunch that this might be the sticking point but not sure where to connect.? If anyone has any idea I would be grateful and impressed. Thanks and Happy Christmas, Hawksmoor

Connect/jumper the Brown/White to the Black wiring......
Right at the ignition switch is fine if you don't mind the headlight and taillight being on anytime the key is on....
Optionally, you could connect to the headlight power wire that goes to the hi/lo beam (dip) switch.......

Last edited:
So, his headlight switch doesn't have a taillight output? I haven't found a wiring diagram for his switch arrangements; does he have a separate hi/low switch from the lights on switch? If so, your suggestion to connect to the wire between those two switches is the better one.
If he connects the brown/white wire to a black wire, then the ignition and headlight power will be on in both the run and park positions, so, either all off or run with lights.

These problems can easily being solved by drawing a diagram of the switch and wiring loom. The only thing you need is a multimeter and two measurement wires. You make a switching diagram by measuring what is connected and when.

Back
Top Bottom