• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Lever End Caps

suhawk305

Total Posts
Total likes
Question: When did Honda start installing those rubber end caps on the front brake and clutch levers?
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/95010-16001

When I installed new aftermarket levers on my 1967 CB77.

I thought the lever end caps would be more period correct.
J0muovq.jpg

However, a fellow vintage friend told me that he is sure Honda started to install the caps starting with the 1968 models. I remember having these caps, but I can’t remember if CA95 or CA77 had them. I’m pretty sure my 1970 CL 350K2 had them.

Question: When did Honda start installing those rubber end caps on the front brake and clutch levers?
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/95010-16001

When I installed new aftermarket levers on my 1967 CB77.

I thought the lever end caps would be more period correct.
J0muovq.jpg

However, a fellow vintage friend told me that he is sure Honda started to install the caps starting with the 1968 models. I remember having these caps, but I can’t remember if CA95 or CA77 had them. I’m pretty sure my 1970 CL 350K2 had them.

The rubber caps can be removed, but why?.....IIRC, your bike is already not year correct as it has the turn-signals kit installed......

Question: When did Honda start installing those rubber end caps on the front brake and clutch levers? . . . I’m pretty sure my 1970 CL 350K2 had them.

Can't help with CA95 or CA77, but my CB175 K4 I purchased in 1970 definitely had them.(y)

I seem to remember starting to see them around '69 to '70, seems like the CB100 had them and most models did not long after.

The rubber caps can be removed, but why?.....IIRC, your bike is already not year correct as it has the turn-signals kit installed......

Yes, I know about the turn signals not being period correct. As I stated in my introduction, I received an 1974 executive order from my wife to keep the turn signals on the bike if I was to register and ride the bike! :lol: This bike will never be 100% period correct, I just like to keep it near original and ride it. Thanks.

1968 was the year the rubber end caps were introduced on many models. I’ve seen a few old Honda ads for ‘67 model bikes that had them, too. They were actually separately molded rubber pieces that slipped over the ball ends, and not plastic dipped onto the levers. The ball ends on those levers were a bit smaller to accommodate the rubber caps. Here’s what the originals look like, and the same levers without the rubber caps.

0A13F266-8EAA-42D2-B1A2-AB8EBCCC2CDB.jpeg 48917798-A6DC-4B92-82A5-34BEF64B62D7.jpeg

Yes, I know about the turn signals not being period correct. As I stated in my introduction, I received an 1974 executive order from my wife to keep the turn signals on the bike if I was to register and ride the bike! :lol: This bike will never be 100% period correct, I just like to keep it near original and ride it. Thanks.

I have been legally riding motorcycles for 55 years, and if I can (legally), I remove them.....
If I can't remove them, I simply ignore and do NOT use them...
I'd be happy to explain why to you and your wife during a phone call....
(We may get you to 100% period correct after all.....)

I have been legally riding motorcycles for 55 years, and if I can (legally), I remove them.....
If I can't remove them, I simply ignore and do NOT use them...
I'd be happy to explain why to you and your wife during a phone call....
(We may get you to 100% period correct after all.....)

Thank you for the offer. I just mentioned to my wife what you suggested and I got a NO! :biggrin:
Not a bad compromise! She still allows me to ride. Today was very nice, for this time of year, and I took a 77 mile ride on my CB1100.

Thank you for the offer. I just mentioned to my wife what you suggested and I got a NO! :biggrin:
Not a bad compromise! She still allows me to ride. Today was very nice, for this time of year, and I took a 77 mile ride on my CB1100.

Well then, I'd say you better leave well enough alone. BTW, if you're not familiar with it, the expression around here for a wife is SWMBO.

My 1965 ca95 has original levers… no caps!
36372ed688ac9c65b690639aacc258a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love those older levers with the large centered ball ends. I believe they are a little longer than the modern replacement levers, too, due to the separate perch being mounted inboard of the switch housing. Can anyone confirm that?

Back
Top Bottom