• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Part 2 - my second CBX

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
Part 1, my first CBX is here: https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/forums/index.php?threads/454

After (stupidly) selling my first, paid-for '79 CBX in 1983, of course I wanted another one. I had a Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator in late '88, bought used from the Kawasaki dealer I visited regularly for parts for the Police bikes, and it was fun but I still missed the CBX pretty badly. In early '89 my ex-wife and I (during better times) looked around for one. As we all remember, in that day and age there was no internet to search so it was newspaper ads, phone calls and word-of-mouth. Through my father's connections to the huge bike salvage yard he found out there was a small shop in Beaumont Texas that specialized in rebuilding wrecked or blown engine CBXs and a phone call resulted in the owner snail-mailing us a Polaroid of an '80 model he had for $2000.

qy56v7h.jpg

It looked good, so we set out for Texas. I was working building maintenance at the time and we borrowed my Dad's F-100 pickup and left right after my half day of work on Saturday. Knowing I had to be back at work the next week meant we had to drive as far as possible and only stop long enough to get some sleep, get there and buy the bike, load it up and get back in a day and a half. The return trip was straight through, stopping in north Florida for a 20 oz cup of coffee and a couple of Vivarin (remember those?). Got back to my Dad's house around 4 AM Monday.

Had never driven through a tunnel in my life prior to that trip, this one under Mobile Bay

wdwmdXC.jpg

nTsUEJa.jpg

While at the small shop called Cycle Center in Beaumont, I saw an odd and unfinished creation in one corner of the place and took a picture of it.

ZfEx3Dl.jpg

While flying along at interstate speed on I-10 during the return trip on Sunday, I had no idea the bridge railings had crossed pistols in them... until the film got developed

PkxaQcw.jpg

21RaTY1.jpg

Yy4KvPz.jpg

Even though he knew I was going back to Florida, he gave me a temp tag for it, never got used.

WUfHLCG.jpg

Not long after that I was able to locate a GP kit for it, something I wanted for my first one but could never afford at the time. The set was shorter bars/cables/brake hose and rear-set peg brackets but I didn't install the peg brackets because I wanted to keep the rider and passenger peg relationship the same for passengers, but the lower bars were great. On the ride back from Texas the bumps revealed the need for fork seals and with the front end off the bike it was the perfect time to do the usual valve cover gasket replacement, a job that was so much easier with more room to wrangle that wide valve cover off after removing the top motor mount plates.

uVAhA6c.jpg

Valve cover done, one side pipes done

hnN05Ul.jpg

Last edited:
pJuh1rR.jpg

hNhmi5Y.jpg

Since I didn't take as many back then with film cameras, the pictures got ahead of the story briefly. In that year's Christmas gathering at my Mom and Dad's house, there was an odd "crate" in the living room along with the tree and presents. It turned out to be for me, and I was handed a drill with phillips bit to open it.

uSYUtA1.jpg

I was skeptically looking at it as I opened it up, knowing my father's history of gag gifts or rattles/surprises inside Christmas packages...

loEsdX3.jpg

Turned out he made a deal with someone who had a set of Denco 6-6 pipes, just like the ones on the first CBX. He traded a stock repaint for them.

GbsyUiG.jpg

As I got it, sharing the garage with the soon to depart ZL900

HecJ2LD.png

XdXNx5t.jpg

And after

W75exuI.jpg

Wow. Just - Wow.

They were both badass, but the second one was really the keeper despite being the slightly detuned version of the '79 (not that it made much difference in performance overall and fun). Once again I stupidly sold it (ex-wife wanted a screen porch on the house for the new baby at the time and of course, she said "we'll get you another one..." - one of the 3 biggest lies ever, and you know what at least one of the other two is, LOL). Got $3500 for it in '94 but it all got spent on something other than another bike.

That front on shot w/o the forks is stirring and beautiful. Must be like flying a jet.

Well, it WAS kinda... but actually more like riding a 2 wheeled Ferrari. I so wish I'd had a way to record the exhaust sound on either one of those bikes, it's like few other engines. But, the only short video I have of it is converted Super 8 with no sound from not too long after the first CBX (the red '79) was put together from a total wreck (early '80), and I wasn't even completely checked out on doing wheelies with it yet (but burnouts were easy)

Checked out Part one and the Youtube vids. What a sound. Your big wheelie pic says you're no slouch. Like a damn Grizzly reared up.

Checked out Part one and the Youtube vids. What a sound. Your big wheelie pic says you're no slouch. Like a damn Grizzly reared up.

Grizzly, LOL... never heard that reference before. Yeah, I've done a few (thousand), it's infectious. I grew up about a mile or so from a guy who worked at one of the local Honda shops in Tampa as a salesman while a late teenager, he would come visit my Dad sometimes and when he left he would wheelie whatever bike he rode over - CB350K1, CB450K0, later his CB750, didn't matter. It got me trying it as soon as I had a bike that woulds do them (the CA102 and CT200 would absolutely not). I had to stand up on the pegs to do wheelies with my early bikes, not enough power to lift the front end with the clutch, but I could do 400 to 500 foot long wheelies on my SL175 by a couple years later. Once got a reckless driving ticket from an off-duty Tampa cop in his own car when the guy happened to be following me on my XL250 up an on ramp to I-275 in north Tampa and I pulled one for about 300 to 400 feet on the ramp (no one in front of me), dropped it down and rode to my exit within legal limits. Got to the exit, was sitting in the yield waiting for traffic when I hear a horn behind me. Ignored it, then heard it again so I turned around and the guy has his badge in the windshield pointing to pull off to the side. I literally had no idea what the problem was, it all happened a few miles back. He was so pissed when he got out of the car, threatened to put me in jail over it (1972 so he could have). Ended up using his radio to call a marked unit and used the other cop's ticket book to write me up. Cost me $52 and was part of an amassing of points that eventually got my license suspended for a year about a year later. I picked my spots better after that. BTW, there is no sound on the CBX video, you must mean the sound of the 450 I guess

I think the audio was on a short Youtube in Part 1. What a story. I was always envious of guys who could sustain wheelie. I think the tail light is missing on the Minitrail in my avatar due to "learning". Even the years in bicycle shops, I could never unicycle. Just not gifted with that balance. Guys like you gave me many impromptu smiles, poor cop just didn't know the joy he was missing. My next bike at 50yrs old was an 80 Suzy GS750L and I'm a lite guy at 155lb. when I grabbed a hand full and got the rize a few times, slammed my butt to the seat hump and realized I was indeed mortal. It was fun.

Hey, I rode a bicycle as a kid and could never wheelie it either, that takes a combo of balance and pedaling skills. The kid in the opening of On Any Sunday does a good one on a bicycle, and my childhood friend Mike (who sadly had a stroke in 2017) could ride a bicycle wheelie as well as anyone I ever knew, but he could also take his heavier 4 stroke XR500 and win the over 50 class guys against their 2 stroke motocross bikes, he was like a fish in water. Wasn't the GS750 shaft drive? That has a lot to do with wheelie success, the ZL900 was also shaft drive and a long wheelbase, and the only way it would wheelie was with a passenger. Rear end jacks up like a leaf-spring car with traction bars on it. My V65 was that way as well, it was one of the hardest to do wheelies on and a razor sharp balance point that I never mastered in 6 years of ownership.

Chain. The 850 was shaft. GSL's have more rake but that 16 valve (TSCC engine) scoots. I was 50 now 64 so an old dog am I. If the road is dry ... a little more than just watch.

Okay, after all these years I finally stumbled on some sound for a CBX with 6-6 pipes open... it's from Kings of Speed shop in Texas.

This is what my CBX used to sound like with the baffles out. Man I miss that sound.

https://fb.watch/awvb8GLjz5/

interesting how the jet blast from the CBX exhaust is making that electrical wire on the right wiggle back and forth in the video.

Grrr. How I wish this thread were buried.:angry: :lol:

I could never afford one of these and now, over the past few years, have them placed firmly on top of my 'wish list'. Like many of us, our wish lists comprise mostly items that will remain unattainable - either for financial or family reasons - especially with the prices good examples are now commanding.

Back to the sound though. Many years ago, in the Isle of Man heyday, recordings on 12" LPs were made of the bike's soundtracks. The above video brings back those sweet shrieks of peak revs from the 250 and 500 Honda sixes, capturing all but the echo through the villages. (y)

I could never afford one of these and now, over the past few years, have them placed firmly on top of my 'wish list'. Like many of us, our wish lists comprise mostly items that will remain unattainable - either for financial or family reasons - especially with the prices good examples are now commanding.

Back to the sound though. Many years ago, in the Isle of Man heyday, recordings on 12" LPs were made of the bike's soundtracks. The above video brings back those sweet shrieks of peak revs from the 250 and 500 Honda sixes, capturing all but the echo through the villages. (y)

I hear you... it gnaws at me every time I see one at a bike gathering, which isn't nearly as often as it used to be. Actually, the 500cc Isle of Man bike from Honda back then was a 4 cylinder, the 6s were in sizes 247, 249 and 297. The first one was named after the previous 4 cylinder 250 so the entry name wouldn't be noticed, the competition would think it was a new version of the previous engine until it got to the track and was fired up. Story goes they even shipped the bike with only 4 pipes on it to avoid drawing attention.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/honda-rc166-250-6/

List of 6 cylinders and their model names (previous RC164s [original and 2RC164] were 4 cylinders)

3RC164 1964 Inline-6 247.43 cc
3RC164 1965 Inline-6 39 × 34.5 mm 247.28 cc
RC165 1965 Inline-6 39 × 34.5 mm 247.28 cc
RC166 1966 Inline-6 41 × 31 mm 249.42 cc (15 cu in) 7 Speed
RC174 1967 Inline-6 41 × 37.5 mm 297.06 cc (18 cu in) 7 Speed

And it still amazes me that all this was done in the early to mid '60s...

Those are terrific pictures. I distinctly remember the first time I saw a CBX in the wild, it was 1979 and I was walking down the street with a buddy and it was parked at the curb. I just stopped and stared and I was like, wow wow wow.
My non-biker buddy didn't get it.

Also, "Super Squid" - lol

I wish I knew how to make this my ring tone

Play the video, record it on your phone, then assign the recording as your ringtone. Or a more complicated way would be to use an audio converter for YT videos and extract the audio from it, then transfer the sound byte to your phone and assign it as the ringtone. I think maybe one high rpm rev would do it, you'd scare people enough with just one rev as it is. Not bike related, but my current ringtone is the old computer modem dialup sound from back in the day, gets people who hear it every time.

I'll never forget seeing a CBX at the dealer when they came out. Even though I was probably only 10 years old or so and was there just to look at the dirt bikes, you just couldn't help not notice the CBX. Actually, I don't think it was at the dealer, Honda used to have a yearly show at a hotel here in town to showcase the new models. It was very close to my house so we used to check it out each year, miss those days. I also remember seeing the CX Turbo one year as well. Exciting events for a wild eyed kid seeing these impressive bikes, they stick in your memory.

Definitely a bike to look back on with appreciation Tom, they don't make them like that any more.

Pretty artsy with the tunnel photos too, nice!

I'll never forget seeing a CBX at the dealer when they came out. Even though I was probably only 10 years old or so and was there just to look at the dirt bikes, you just couldn't help not notice the CBX. Actually, I don't think it was at the dealer, Honda used to have a yearly show at a hotel here in town to showcase the new models. It was very close to my house so we used to check it out each year, miss those days. I also remember seeing the CX Turbo one year as well. Exciting events for a wild eyed kid seeing these impressive bikes, they stick in your memory.

Definitely a bike to look back on with appreciation Tom, they don't make them like that any more.

Pretty artsy with the tunnel photos too, nice!

Thanks Perry, those pictures were taken with a Canon AE-1 film camera back when you had no idea if the shots were worth having until you paid to get the film developed. 400 speed film helped catch the crossed pistols on the bridge with the better light during the day. FYI, my ex-wide was driving at those times.

The first time I ever saw a CBX was at Bike Week in Daytona in '79 at the Honda show tent outside the big track. Honda had the bike up on a rotating pedestal with the front end elevated so it was easy to see all the pipes and cylinders. It wasn't the first 6 cylinder I'd seen and had gotten the thought in my head, the first was a Benelli Sei 750 while I worked at Suncoast Honda in '75 and a customer rode in on one. As soon as I saw the CBX I knew I wanted one, but affording one was just a dream until my Dad called me that day in early '80 to tell me the salvage yard he did paint work for got their first one in totaled and I should go make a deal for it. That was a no-brainer for me, let go of my 3rd SOHC 750 in exchange for a 6 cylinder, easy decision.

(y)

My wife's cousins partner has a fully restored CBX in his collection. Similar age to me, perhaps a few years younger, he had a CBX back in the day, and apparently rode it hard, following rider reporting that it was weaving and bucking all over the place. He currently rides a modern supercharged Kawasaki beast, and has around 40 other 1970's bikes in his shed. CB750, Z1 etc etc. Not that I'm in any way envious ….

Must you, Richard??? :dizzy: It's bad enough to think about having had not one, but two of them and life let them get away... that price is about what they're going for and more, over here now. Hard to even find one for under $10,000 and if you do they have more than a few needs. It's a high-dollar investment today with waning parts availability and limited numbers still out there. That one is a beauty, it will finish at a much higher price I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing that Andrew. Nice video indeed, and I'm incredibly envious of him (though not so much for what he spent to buy it!). I do have to take issue with his assessment of the bike being high maintenance at about the 14 minute mark. I owned my '79 for over 20,000 miles and only had to do the valve shims once, never had to do the carbs (they were out of sync a bit when I sold it but still idled well enough) and of course, never had to touch the timing or ignition in any way... so I'm not sure what he was referring to other than possibly adjusting the cam chains. Yes, the valve cover gasket needed replaced periodically along with the 8 cover bolt grommets, and of course a set of plugs now and then but that was it. It was really like riding a two wheeled car other than it not having a driveshaft, lube the chain, push the button and go.

The 6-6 pipes on his sound a little different (at least on camera) than the Dencos I had on both of mine. The Dencos cackled a little more (for want of a better description). Still, twisting it up to redline made a very similar sound in this video and that is one glorious and memorable sound to my ears.

Cool thread and sound! Always loved inline 6's in old sport cars (Jags, BMW 3.5 CSL) but wasn't aware of these bikes until recently here. Learning a lot here on VHT. It would be fun to drop something like this into a light old RWD sports car like a Lotus and hear that glorious sound following you around :) Too bad they're so rare and pricey.

As far as I recall, he is using special petrol (old style petrol with no special additions) for car/bike storage purposes. This petrol is used permanently on his CBX to keep carbs in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom