• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Black Friday - a red 1965 CB160

Nice work on the steering damper! My ‘69 CL350 has the same setup. I think that was about the last year they used those. I have a horn on another old bike that recently stopped working again, and I need to attend to it, too. It stopped honking a few years ago and I just stuck a WD40 nozzle into it and sprayed it well, and whatever was stuck came unstuck…lol

Great save on the steering damper. Some things should be greased upon assembly. One of those niceties that the factories sometimes omit. You should definitely toot your own horn on that.:biggrin:

Maybe a stainless nut on there?

There's so much satisfaction in cleaning up an old part and finding that it still works just fine.

Hard to tell for sure from the pics, but your steering races don't look half bad. I can't see any evidence of brinelling. The worst spots will be the front side of the bottom stack and the rear of the top, ...usually. I even re-use the balls quite frequently. Correct assembly and proper adjustment, a headset (oops, bicycle lingo), steering bearings can last a long, long time., especially on a lightweight like a 160. All Balls sells a lot of roller bearing kits because, well,....people.

Alan,

I am late to the subject as you resolved it LOL.

Here's a picture of the rod since I loaded it already.

P1060295.jpgP1060296.jpg

Thanks everyone I'll be sure to reassemble with a good coat of CorrosionX everywhere the rust used to be.

I'm going to be installing tapered roller steering bearings and all of the seals in the kit. They'll need very little maintenance before this bike is parked for the last time.

In the photos you can see the amount of road dirt that got into that bottom bearing, yUck. 'Ol Bob wasn't much for maintenance that required taking anything apart I guess. Plus there were more dirt roads between 1966 and ~1990 when he was riding it, they are much fewer now but I'll find some.

Those forks still pump and rebound, there's old oil in there and not a drop outside. I'll be sure to place my special Honda part numbered special tool clothes-pin on my nose when disassembling and cleaning those.

I'll probably hold off on the horn, as it's not needed right now.

And I may start in on the seat, I've got a piece of foam matting from Ballbearian and some adhesive memory foam that I'll be experimenting with, maybe I can find a combination that works for me.

Other than that I'll continue cleaning up, de-rusting and coating all of the steel and aluminum parts.

I'm beginning to think about fork seals, rear shocks and swingarm bushings. Hopefully I can reuse the existing fork tubes. Does anyone have any pointers toward finding replacements if needed?

The only thing I can say about the fork seals is if you don't do them, you know they're going to leak regardless of what you see right now. Sitting a long time likely didn't do them any favors either. I suppose all you can do is identify the part numbers and do a bunch of searching, maybe Mike or pemdoc will know who has them

There seems to be some variation in sizes that I see listed for sale in different places. I'll be measuring the parts and old seals myself to simplify the decision.

I'm not even considering reusing the old ones.

Alan,

The fork seal should be Honda 91255-315-003 which is a 31X41X9 mm seal from a bearing supply place if you have one handy. If not readily available from Partzilla @ $10. each.

The old fish oil fork oil can be a real stinker on some of these old babies.... or is that just an old wives tale. ;)

Yes certainly best done outdoors on a windy day. I dumped the factory oil from my Cb750K3 forks back in...01? and will never forget. I may have to keep some in an eye-dropper type bottle for future stinky sabotage type purposes.

I think with only that one picture you can't be sure, seems the printing or something subtle on the individual boxes is one way to know

Soichiro forgive me, I just bought a Scorpion brand AGM battery for this bike.

I used one on my CM400C and it behaved wonderfully. So for it's $56 and free shipping I'll accept another Chinese part on this bike, even if I have to pick it up at the Post Office.

Soichiro forgive me, I just bought a Scorpion brand AGM battery for this bike.

I used one on my CM400C and it behaved wonderfully. So for it's $56 and free shipping I'll accept another Chinese part on this bike, even if I have to pick it up at the Post Office.

I think considering it's just a replacement battery choice in the face of decades of further development, he'd let you slide. Of course, he's probably already spinning in his grave over the millions of Chinese parts already out there on everyone's bikes (including plenty of them on mine)

I'd love to buy from this guy but I'm a little worried about plugs.
I've bought from him before and a few others have confirmed he's good, but the parts...tough to tell until I have them in hand to compare.

I'll give it a few days thought.

I'd love to buy from this guy but I'm a little worried about plugs.
I've bought from him before and a few others have confirmed he's good, but the parts...tough to tell until I have them in hand to compare.

I'll give it a few days thought.

I've bought a bunch from him. Aways good.

Searching the forum for 'plugs' or 'B8ES' (only because that's how the subject came up) yields lots of results and I couldn't find the thread where we previously discussed some plugs someone bought that looked suspicious. I went through a pile of threads yesterday to find the B8ES discussion about fakes and couldn't find it, but it's here somewhere with some pictures of what seemed to be less than legit markings.

I remember the counterfeit spark plug thread, could someone have a look at these and give an opinion on whether they might be genuine?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120571398677?hash=item1c129d8a15:g:TPQAAOxywCJRZS5O

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120571398749?hash=item1c129d8a5d:g:IFcAAOxyrP9RZRGp
Lots of those genuine plugs(9s and 10s) still around these days, because few people used them. Lots of unsold boxes on the dealer's shelves because they were too cold a heat range for regular use.

Searching the forum for 'plugs' or 'B8ES' (only because that's how the subject came up) yields lots of results and I couldn't find the thread where we previously discussed some plugs someone bought that looked suspicious. I went through a pile of threads yesterday to find the B8ES discussion about fakes and couldn't find it, but it's here somewhere with some pictures of what seemed to be less than legit markings.
I seem to recall that there was a link posted in one of those fake plug discussions that contained the “what to look for” information.

The Owners Manual calls out D-8H but in parentheses specifies D-9H and D-10H for hard riding.

I wonder if 9's and 10's will be needed at all?

Anyone?

Based on stock jetting, air filters and pipes, I'd say not. I've only rarely used plugs that were one heat range colder or hotter, and only for a test to see what change it made.

I'm beginning to doubt that I'll be using a stock air filters the bike only included one and it's rough.

I just took a look at CMSNL and they only call out D-10H and D-10HS, no 9's or 8's at all.

Partzilla only calls out D-10HS no others.

It's looking to me like I should pick up these 9's and 10's while they're available.

I'll give those links a read thru again, thanks!

Right-o Mike, he's got a good plug part number explanation chart there.

I'm not enjoying the search for 8's. And I'm put off by all the counterfeit flap. It seems that the regular aftermarket parts sites (where the hipsters buy :)) you know the list... They all have plenty of 8's but are they genuine?

I'm tempted to just buy the 9's and maybe the 10's but not if they'll be useless.

And Partzilla and CMSNL both show only 10's to add to the confusion.

I'm actually surprised that they show 10s at both sites, I can't ever recall seeing 10s in anything I worked on back then. Sometimes a customer would put 9s in their bike but I can't say I ever saw them from the factory, though I worked on only a couple 160s

Just picked up a 10 pack of DR8HS for about $2.73 each delivered, thats probably my best deal.
And I found a pair of 90 degree NGK non-resistor plug caps too.

Not quite original, but it's what I can put together without selling a kidney.

So what's everybody doing for air filters?

Oh, I noticed today that a lot of the restored (looking) CB160s with the steel fork lowers have them painted silver. Mine are red, I wonder what that indicates?

I'm not sure about the lower fork leg color, the ID Guide pictures are in black and white so though they describe the color combos for the older bikes they don't always mention exactly which parts were included. For air filters, try to find another OEM filter for the other side, regardless of filter paper condition, and then cut the paper off the frames of both and glue Unifoam on them.

This is the filter I've got, looks in ok shape to refit with foam, I'm not quite sure which side it is though...
Left I think?

20211126_124703~2.jpg20211126_124722~2.jpg

Any idea where I'd find another? I guess I'll post in the parts wanted sections and see what pops up.

MjAxODE3MA-7415ab96.png

Just picked up a 10 pack of DR8HS for about $2.73 each delivered, thats probably my best deal.
And I found a pair of 90 degree NGK non-resistor plug caps too.

Not quite original, but it's what I can put together without selling a kidney.
If you want to keep the original caps, unscrew the insert in the plug side of the cap, remove the resistor and replace it with a piece of solid copper wire or brass tubing.

Plug caps in my experience don't age well. Knowing that they can be disassembled & cleaned is good but the plastic gets brittle with age.

I don't know if the early type are resistor or not. The resistors are there to limit RF interference. Back before recorded music in cars radio reception was more important. I'd always measure your plug cap resistances and note them down, they're either garbage or good.

I've got a neighbor up the street that I can tell is nearby, all FM radio stations are silent before I can even hear his stupid loud muffler, his ignition interferes with everything within 500 feet, nice huh?

This is the filter I've got, looks in ok shape to refit with foam, I'm not quite sure which side it is though...
Left I think?

View attachment 11774View attachment 11775

Any idea where I'd find another? I guess I'll post in the parts wanted sections and see what pops up.

MjAxODE3MA-7415ab96.png

I asked on the CB160 FB group and got this. What would they be worth to you? And shipping from CA.

Sorry just shots of my computer screen. Can't link to FB messenger. He didn't know about refurbishing and no clue what 's the worth.

Alan,I hope the FB seller will let you have them for $20+ shipping:those filters could be re-fit with green Uni-foam as some of have done using the stock metal frames from the original filter elements.

Hey, at least not rusty. I wish I could just put you two together to deal. FB group CB160 CL160 CA160 SOHC (private group, you can see but not post till you join/approved) Joe Ordrywolski answered my question/post there. He just said they in great shape he is using pods for his racer and would part with them and ship.

Hey, at least not rusty. I wish I could just put you two together to deal. FB group CB160 CL160 CA160 SOHC (private group, you can see but not post till you join/approved) Joe Ordrywolski answered my question/post there. He just said they in great shape he is using pods for his racer and would part with them and ship.

He just said $50 including shipping

I actually spoke with a friend about these today, he dabbles in 3d printing and will have a look to see if anyone has uploaded a design for these, wouldn't that be something?

I pm'd you Alan. He offered $50 including shipping from west coast. I said, sounded fair. He said they're not going anywhere. I said we have hoards of CB160 restorers (just kidding):neutral:

Back
Top Bottom