• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Replacing Rusty CD200 Forks

supersim65

Total Posts
Total likes
I finally won the battle agaisnt the corrosion holding the fork legs into my CD200. Great news. But of course the stanchions aren't looking good.

I can't find much in the way of replacement stanchions for this model, and used forks are unlikely to be any better. But I'll keep my eye on eBay.

In the mean time, I wonder if anyone has advice. Are there any other fork legs that might fit from this era? I know CM200. And is there any chance of polishing the minor pitting on the chrome at the bottom of the stanchion and just making do at the top (not chromed)?

IMG_20211115_185021302.jpg

Go to www.cmsnl.com and pull up your year/model. Find the forks in the fiche and click the part number which brings up another page, towards the bottom of that page there will be a list of bikes that use the same part which can help in locating replacements.

As well as the bikes which use the exact same part (CD185 etc), as you have the clamp type top yoke you may find forks from other bikes fit. I think your fork tubes are 31mm diameter, if so, CB/CL 175 K7 (not earlier ones), CB200, CD250U,CB250 NightHawk etc would fit. If too long, they'd slide up through the top yoke. For example, on my bitsa SL175 I have CB200 top and bottom yokes with CD250U forks.

Rusty top section concealed under sections of polished stainless steel tube.

Like this:

ZlcUVAa.jpg

Go to www.cmsnl.com and pull up your year/model. Find the forks in the fiche and click the part number which brings up another page, towards the bottom of that page there will be a list of bikes that use the same part which can help in locating replacements.

Ooh I love it. Will have a look.

As well as the bikes which use the exact same part (CD185 etc), as you have the clamp type top yoke you may find forks from other bikes fit. I think your fork tubes are 31mm diameter, if so, CB/CL 175 K7 (not earlier ones), CB200, CD250U,CB250 NightHawk etc would fit. If too long, they'd slide up through the top yoke. For example, on my bitsa SL175 I have CB200 top and bottom yokes with CD250U forks.

This is a good call too. I did have a look at a few different 31mm options and wasn't sure about the potential extra height. What am I looking for when it comes to making sure the front wheel will fit?

Updates. I have some CB175 fork shrouds coming. Not sure if they'll fit, but it looked like they would, and they were cheap.

Question. I've spotted a pair of much more modern Showa forks which on first inspection should fit quite well from a 2015 Lexmoto Arizona 125. Similar weight bike, similar length, 31mm stanchions. But for some reason, they are listed as left 690mm (too short) and right 790mm (a shade too long but workable). Is this a typo do you think? Or is there a reason forks would be longer on one side than the other?

I have looked at the original bike, there's no extra length below the axle, and the top is mounted in the same place left and right.

Updates. I have some CB175 fork shrouds coming. Not sure if they'll fit, but it looked like they would, and they were cheap.

Question. I've spotted a pair of much more modern Showa forks which on first inspection should fit quite well from a 2015 Lexmoto Arizona 125. Similar weight bike, similar length, 31mm stanchions. But for some reason, they are listed as left 690mm (too short) and right 790mm (a shade too long but workable). Is this a typo do you think? Or is there a reason forks would be longer on one side than the other?

I have looked at the original bike, there's no extra length below the axle, and the top is mounted in the same place left and right.

Has to be a typo, I just looked at some pictures of the bike and the forks are the same length both sides. Your biggest concern will be whether or not your existing axle will fit so you can use the original wheel and spacers

So I have bought a used pair of Showa manufactured Lexmoto forks. The set I have bought are the same length, a shade too long, but I anticipate sliding them slightly up the yokes as above. Will report back eventually.

The parts guy had some insight on fork legs of different lengths though. Apparently on some smaller modern bikes, sometimes the spring is in one fork, and the damping in the other. Resulting in the spring fork being longer when both are completely unloaded.

Back
Top Bottom