• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

VB22J rebuild

I think I did let the speed get over 1300 more than once. I'll do it again.

That reminds me, my idle speed screw feels like it's not smooth, like it's easy, then there is a hard spot, then it's easy again. Reminds me of how the rear brake screw is. Does this ring a bell? Did I put it together wrong?

OK, so I think I have reached the finish line with the carbs rebuild. Once I got them synced up, and the mixtures set, I still had the problem starting from a stop or really even running very well at all around 1500 - 2000. This turned out to be an ignition issue that I discuss over in that section. After suspecting a problem with a new aftermarket Ignitech unit, I put the original back in, and now the bike runs smooth. No issue pulling away from a stop at all. I took it on an 80 mile ride out to the islands this afternoon, and it just ran great, the best I have experienced since I got it.

For this I want to express my extreme appreciation to those on this forum for all your help and input, not the least of which Jim O'Brien, aka LongDistanceRider. His tutorial on rebuilding these carbs is priceless, I never would have attempted it without it. His patience with all my pestering seems limitless, and his expertise top notch. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have really come to love this bike, and all the reward that comes with all the time, energy, and money I have put into it. It is all worth it, because it makes me happy. And isn't that what it's really all about in the end?

A shot on ritzy Captiva Island on Florida's Gulf Coast moments before a big ole iguana scampered past on this 82 degree December afternoon.

IMG_20211212_152608742_HDR.jpg

LOL! Actually, yes I have. I'm from Maine, and I did tech work outside on toll booths year round. So, yeah.

If it makes you hate me any less, my new helmet fell off the seat and got dinged up by the crushed rock shortly after I took this picture. Karma perhaps?

Knew you'd probably have done something similar knowing you're from Maine. My parents were born there and I'm familiar with the weather there so can't really begrudge the move to Florida. Shame about the helmet getting dinged.

Back
Top Bottom