• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Harriman State Park - Fall Foliage Tour

Ribrickulous

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Three videos up on youtube:

1 of 3 https://youtu.be/xRdNwXomtVQ
2 of 3 https://youtu.be/5YvAR0P-F0U
3 of 3 https://youtu.be/AFXco2y1pAY

The wind buffeting is better, but that's not saying much. Figuring out a better audio solution is taking a low priority right now.

Took a ride upstate out of the city to hit fall foliage in Harriman State Park. It's just about at it's peak in Brooklyn, and was *just* past peak upstate, but still perfect in a lot of places.

I didn't start recording until we were on the Palisades Parkway, which meant we missed the C-17 making it's way up the Hudson River while riding up the Henry Hudson Highway. I feel like it's just the size of the plane, but I swear the thing couldn't have been flying above 1,000 feet. Took the palisades north to exit 14, cut across Willow Grove Road to the park, which is where the starter motor gave up the ghost, and then turned North on Seven Lakes Drive (so there are a few lakes missing, didn't start from the "start").

Not sure if it's the extra weight of the passenger or if I just need a new front tire (the rear has maybe 100 miles on it) but I didn't feel as confident in the twistys on Willow Grove / Kaunawake. Took it slow. Made the wrong turn at the wrong roundabout at the top of the park, so we wound up doing it twice - no matter, everything was just as gorgeous ;).

I was really happy to see that fewer people than during the summer were out in the park, which meant way less traffic. There were a few foliage photographers that definitely picked up some shots of us on the bike as we rode by.

Finished the second loop and took off across the Bear Mountain Bridge, which, on the downside, had some big construction going on, but on the *big* upside, got rid of the EZ-Pass toll plaza that couldn't ever read my EZ-Pass with a new no-stop plaza. I'll take it.

South on 9A, which at that time of day is very traffic bound, which is unfortunate for such a gorgeous road. Somewhere in 2 of 3 is a falcon or hawk taking a dive at its lunch (edit: 42:50 - looked better in person, the camera clips off the top of my field of view). Ended at a gas station just north of Peekskill where there were a few motorcyclists that wanted to ogle the CL350. One of the guy's had one of those two wheeled tractor trailers complete with a reverse gear. Not hating on them, just a wholly different bike.

Turned off the camera after this - not much interesting happening on the way south, just plenty of late-day traffic getting home.

Timestamps of interesting stuff are in the individual youtube videos.

As an aside, let me know what you all think of the video quality in 720p/60fps (in those three videos above) vs 1080p/30fps like in this video ( you can select 1080p, I think it defaults to 720).

I'm a few glasses of the peaty stuff in, but I can't make out much of a difference.

Nice ride. Honda's jacket log in right mirror is nice touch

Thanks. Found it on Etsy I think. Little fabric patch I had sewn on (can’t use heat glue on waxed cotton), and the British flag removed (it’s a Belstaff Jacket).

They just didn’t seem to jive (no offense to our British members here [emoji6]) together. Too many features.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Interesting to see 60 fps vs 30 on my GoPro, clarity seems a bit better with less apparent motion blur (not that there's too much in 30 fps). Also interesting to see the underside of the bike on camera while you were looking for issues with the starter/cable. Wonder if the solenoid just took a dump? After that very clean starter rebuild it's hard to believe it would be the starter motor itself. Nice scenery for sure. I'm curious - did the camera take these videos in the segment sizes you posted? Mine does 2 Gb segments which equate to about 17.5 minutes each

Solenoid is still clunking, and I read 12.6V or so at the post on the starter motor after the ride while holding the button closed.

The rebuild is for the cerakoted engine - this motor hasn’t been touched presumably since 1971 when it rolled off the factory floor.

I went low just to make sure something didn’t damage the cable causing me to inadvertently short to ground, and that all the connections were tight.

I’ll pop it open, or rebuild the other scrap one I have sitting around.

And yeah, that’s the camera’s splits. I think it goes to about 4.3 GB each segment.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Solenoid is still clunking, and I read 12.6V or so at the post on the starter motor after the ride while holding the button closed.

The rebuild is for the cerakoted engine - this motor hasn’t been touched presumably since 1971 when it rolled off the factory floor.

I went low just to make sure something didn’t damage the cable causing me to inadvertently short to ground, and that all the connections were tight.

I’ll pop it open, or rebuild the other scrap one I have sitting around.

And yeah, that’s the camera’s splits. I think it goes to about 4.3 GB each segment.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Completely forgot the rebuilt starter is on the other engine, duh. :rolleyes: Well, now another starter mystery to solve. 4.3 Gb per segment, wow... my Hero 3 is from 2014 so it seems technology in that area has changed significantly. For my mountain rides I ended up with 5 segments of 1.948 Gb each, but the GoPro studio software (which is apparently discontinued for whatever reason) makes it easy to "cut and splice"

So I run the bike every couple of weeks, even if it’s just to warm it up and move some fuel through the carbs, give it a few good revs once warm.

I was lamenting this without the starter, not because I’m lazy, but because my right knee is meh. That’s my story, anyway.

I’ll be damned - 40 degrees out, leaking valve guides, and the thing kicked over after maybe three good kicks at ~3/4 choke.

Good li’l bike.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Back
Top Bottom