• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Tool box recommendations?

stl360+450

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Over the summer I installed a new rotor and rectifier/regulator from Rick's Electrics on my 1974 CB450. I chose to install the reg/rec in the same location that the OEM regulator was mounted previously. The bolt spacing did not match and I did not want to introduce any new holes, so I fashioned a mounting plate to make it all work.

PXL_20210816_222922571.jpgPXL_20210817_142435622.NIGHT.jpg

The downside of this solution is interference between the rec/reg and the OEM toolbox, which I like to use to store a couple of spare fuses, cotter pins, and other small items. I've been running without the toolbox for the last couple of months, but I am thinking about modifying the toolbox so I can remount it in the same location. I thought I would solicit advice before cutting it apart. Any suggestions are welcome.

Will it clear the tool box if it was directly mounted to the cross over tube?

I believe so. The threaded holes in the cross over tube are closer together than the through holes on the reg/rec and there isn't enough space on the "ears" to file them sufficiently to make it work. This is what led me to use the mounting plate initially.

Flip it and mount to the tool box.......Essentially takes up the same space as the original reg.....

I had my side covers and airboxes off today and decided to take another look at my toolbox situation. Steve's suggestion to mount the rectifier/regulator to the toolbox will definitely work. I also determined that if I trimmed the mounting brackets on the toolbox, I would be able to reinstall it and leave the rec/reg mounted on the underside of the crossover tube with the mounting plate I fashioned previously. It's a tight fit and it's a little tedious to put it all together, but it works.

PXL_20211124_214406669.jpg. PXL_20211124_210226361.jpg

Back
Top Bottom