• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Hondas on record covers (and other photos)

CarnivorousChicken

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Someone posted the Hondells record a couple weeks ago, and I thought about making a new thread with record covers and other shots of bands/musicians. I've got a bunch of records with bikes on the covers, and looking for something I found this one: She's A Bad Motorcycle by the rises, with a few 305s.

IMG_4606.jpg
IMG_4607.jpg

A Kiss promo with a Hawk:
Kiss Hawk.jpg

And Betty Davis, forgotten queen of funk, on a SOHC chopper:
IMG_4456(1).jpg

There's a whole series of photos with this bike.

I'll get around to finding more at some point, including the Jeannie C. Riley "Girl Most Likely" (another 305) and others... but feel free to post yours.

Ran across this CCR video, featuring a vintage Honda - a CL450K2 in Ruby Red - just like mine.

Most of you old guys, like me, should remember this one -

jXaXNg9.jpg

Someone posted the Hondells record a couple weeks ago, and I thought about making a new thread with record covers and other shots of bands/musicians. I've got a bunch of records with bikes on the covers, and looking for something I found this one: She's A Bad Motorcycle by the rises, with a few 305s.

View attachment 10248
View attachment 10249

So cool! (y)
Awesome song titles on this Risers LP. I would love to find and listen to that bad boy. I’ll have to keep my eye out in my collection for any Honda cover cameos.

I just thought the Risers album was about the cover pictures but I looked at it again and realize there were at least a couple songs devoted to the CL72 and CA77, might be very interesting to hear. I'll have to see if I can find them online. As for Jeannie C. Riley, I never knew anything she did other than Harper Valley PTA

I just thought the Risers album was about the cover pictures but I looked at it again and realize there were at least a couple songs devoted to the CL72 and CA77, might be very interesting to hear. I'll have to see if I can find them online. As for Jeannie C. Riley, I never knew anything she did other than Harper Valley PTA

Here's the Jeannie C. Riley cover, CB77.

riley.jpg

So cool! (y)
Awesome song titles on this Risers LP. I would love to find and listen to that bad boy. I’ll have to keep my eye out in my collection for any Honda cover cameos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcauTWwYKZI -- there's the youtube vid for the title song.

A lot of these records (Hondells, Risers) were studio musicians who put out themed records that went after trends or whatever. The Risers have a bunch of songwriters including Jerry Cole, who had a solo career, but nobody else really famous as far as I know.

More Hondas in CCR music videos -

Here are all the songs from the "She's a Bad Motorcycle" album by the Risers
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3QK-FeOu2cd5Hp0SHTilpEnoNm6408xC

Ironically, the one motorcycle that I own has the least enthusiastic song on the album lyrically.

"With a bike sitting out in the back of my place,
I know it wasn't built for show or race.
But it gets me where I want to go.
That's my 305 Dream."

All those guys with their big modern builds
at the drags leave me standing still.
Guess I dig her and I always will.
That's my 305 Dream"

Geez, he might be right but he doesn't have to be so harsh.

Here are all the songs from the "She's a Bad Motorcycle" album by the Risers
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3QK-FeOu2cd5Hp0SHTilpEnoNm6408xC

Ironically, the one motorcycle that I own has the least enthusiastic song on the album lyrically.

"With a bike sitting out in the back of my place,
I know it wasn't built for show or race.
But it gets me where I want to go.
That's my 305 Dream."

All those guys with their big modern builds
at the drags leave me standing still.
Guess I dig her and I always will.
That's my 305 Dream"

Geez, he might be right but he doesn't have to be so harsh.

Thanks HondaDreamer, nice work finding all the songs so I can listen! (y)
And I think you are still cool with your Honda Dream. Rock on!

A few mroe, including a couple from my collection.

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

Kinda bluesy, includes the tune "My starter won't start." There's a YouTube video with moto images:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqBTWaxBX0

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

Not a twin, but (obviously) bought this when I saw the nice cover. Just noticed that the first is John Hammond, this is Hammond Party (as in the organ). Hammond sandwich?

Hammond 2.jpg

Another from 'ol Harry, another moto. I can't place it but I bet somewhere here knows what it is.

kampfert.jpg

I've got this reccord but stole an image. Not a Honda, but nice nonetheless.

I'm assuming everyon'e seen this one -- Mel Torme, The Velvet Frog, and his one great song -- and a bunch of old bikes!

And to pick up the pace again, Scottish punk/new wave band the Revillos and "Motorbike Beat." They formed after their previous incarnation, the Rezillos, broke up. The Rezillos had a couple hits (back when punk was top-40 pop in the UK), and both bands always had a kind of surf and '60s pop elements. On the record cover I think the bike is a Triumph, but they brought in the Honda twin for this appearance.

My Mom and Dad used to listen to Mel Torme, I never took to the singers of the era (Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc), they just didn't interest me. I still have a handful of their old records but I'm afraid to play any of them on either of my turntables because stylus quality (and cleaning habits) were not nearly as good 50 years ago when they used them. Never heard of the Revillos but I guess it's understandable since they may not have made the charts, and therefore airplay, in the US

The Revillos were good, but the Rezillos were great! People forget that punk in the USA (where it started) was a lot different than punk in the UK, where it was, essentially, top-40 pop music. The Rezillos have some great, poppy tunes -- Destination Venus, Top of the Pops, etc., and they did a great cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Somebody's gonna get their head kicked in tonight" -- it's the b-side to a Fleetwood Mac 7" but credited to Earl Vince and the Valiants. There were semi-manufactured bands like the Sex Pistols and Generation X, and poppier stuff like the Rezillos and Buzzcocks. I feel like I am starting to nerd out, so I'll stop.

But that '50s lounge-y stuff never did it for me, esepcially since there was so much great contemporary stuff -- R&B, early soul, rockabilly, garage...

Digging through a box today I found this one.

hip old lady on a honda.jpg

Rhetta Hughes, "Hip old lady on a Honda." I'm sure I got it for the title. It's from 1968, but it's kind of disco-y, with strings, etc.

Got a little spare time and I am alphabetizing my records, not just by first letter but by entire names. I've got a little time on my hands.

Went through the "J" section of my 7"s and noted these:

gohondago.jpg

Jackie and the Cedrics were a surf instrumental trio from Japan during the garage revival of the 1990s. Good stuff. Saw them play in Seattle when there was a Garage Shock festival in Bellingham, where their label, Estrus, was based. A lot of the bands played shows in Seattle before heading north.

jackofire.jpg

Jack O' Fire was a project out of Austin, most notably featuring Tim Kerr (who played in legendary skate punk and genre-bending band the Big Boys, as well as Poison 13, Monkeywrench, Bad Mutha Goose, and a slew of others). They wre a lo-fi garage/blues band (saw them too), and this record had a "wire" theme to it, with covers of the Cramps ("Under the Wire") and a cover of Wire's 12XU, as well as a Hound Dog Taylor cover.

irritations.jpg

Finally, the Irritations. a snotty garage punk that only put out 2 singles. Prolly not to everyone's taste, but I dig the primitive lo-fi noise.

Dunno why the record cvoers are posting sideways, tried to turn them, but there you go. Tilt yer head.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about the angle they're taken as to how they show up. Can't tilt my head with disc issues in my neck so I fixed them for you. :) The 350s on the Jackie and the Cedrics album cover look like those early domestic models that had the 305-style toaster tank and headlight with single gauge, very cool.

It's all about the angle they're taken as to how they show up. Can't tilt my head with disc issues in my neck so I fixed them for you. :) The 350s on the Jackie and the Cedrics album cover look like those early domestic models that had the 305-style toaster tank and headlight with single gauge, very cool.

THanks for that. Any idea why they posted that way? I went and turned them 90 degrees and tried to repost but they still posted sideways...

THanks for that. Any idea why they posted that way? I went and turned them 90 degrees and tried to repost but they still posted sideways...

How did you turn them? Did you use an app on your phone, or did you use a program on a computer to rotate them? All I did was save them in MS Paint, rotate 90°, save and repost (after removing the old ones from your post)

That's actually what I did as well. Sent them from my phone via email to my laptop, opened them in paint (they were right side up), and pasted them in the post. Then I noticed they were sideways, so I reopened them in paint and tried to repost, but they were sideways again.

Then I'm guessing either you're using Windows 10 or a Mac, both of which autocorrect stuff so the real orientation of a picture isn't shown. It's part of the dumbing down of the world so people don't have to learn how to do stuff. I'm using Win7 so it shows how the picture is really oriented when taken, which is what I was referring to earlier - how you hold the phone is everything to the orientation the picture gets from the camera when taken. The forum software is older and acts like Win7 does

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

That's actually what I did as well. Sent them from my phone via email to my laptop, opened them in paint (they were right side up), and pasted them in the post. Then I noticed they were sideways, so I reopened them in paint and tried to repost, but they were sideways again.
When that's happened to me I go back to Paint, turn the photo sideways, save, exit the program and wait a couple minutes. Back into Paint, fix it and save again, exit program. Then it posts correctly.

Back
Top Bottom