• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Oil spinner cover removal

chrisrutter

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi - I recently acquired an engine for my CL77 and am having trouble getting the cover piece off the oil spinner to check inside - is there a good way to do this? It seems as though it is supposed to just pull out but mine seems firmly stuck and I don't want to use force in case I damage something.
I don't think the cover bit is on quite square so maybe this is the problem.

Also, should the oil spinner spin freely on the shaft that goes through it, as this one is binding as you push it through the oil spinner body.

IMG_20210928_163606.jpg

Thanks in anticipation. Chris

Don’t quote me, just offering, and I haven’t searched… is there a screw in there you need to remove first?

Tom - 1982 CM450E / Midwest USA

Last edited by a moderator:
The FSM should explain it, but I figured Mike or someone else with 305 experience would weigh in with the real knowledge.

It's a snap ring, the cover is usually stuck pretty tight with grit around the edge. Use a hammer and a drift through the rear hole to work it out, keep tapping back and forth on opposite sides to work it out.

I use a length of hardwood dowel as my drift for this procedure.......
Tap it out rather than drive it out, alternating side to side, up and down, all around.....

Thanks everyone - that's good to know. I was worried that there was some kind of fixing or special technique to it. It looks like it's just jammed in there so I'll try the wooden dowel tapping method after a good soaking in penetrating oil.
I think there might also be a rubber O ring in there, too, that I imagine has hardened up over time.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers Chris

Got it off! Loads of gunk inside and looks like it hasn't been touched for years. It was well and truly stuck and I had to give it a bit of judicious hammering with a socket extension to get it to move.

IMG_20211002_134346_01.jpg

IMG_20211002_142418.jpg
Cleaned it up and smoothed surfaces with a bit of fine wet and dry and it spins well on the shaft. The rubber O ring needs replacing - I'll see who has them available.
Quite pleased with my work but the lack of attention to the oil filter may not bode well for the rest of the engine.
I need to organise my workspace a bit better then I'll see about taking off the head and looking into the bores.

That oil slinger/centrifugal filter was very dirty! Glad you were able to work the cover off of it to clean it out:looks good & clean now. (y)

Back
Top Bottom