• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Brake panel coating

TMSHORT

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
As part of replacing the pads / bearings etc I disassemble the hub / brakes and put everything through the ultrasonic cleaner, in hot water with simple green (the purple pro HD stuff, which doesn’t discolor aluminum).

Both brake panels on the CL350 had some sort of thin membrane that came off. Is this old clear coat, or ... ?

3994565D-0176-4856-9850-277C015EE75F.jpg
E52BAE4A-2D07-40CD-B167-CA04FBF9CA7B.jpg

Now you've done it! Look forward to polishing every single piece of aluminum on your bike!

Seriously you called it, it is the factory clear coat. Clean it off and wax it up and go for a ride .... or polish ....

Never would have dreamed that ultrasonic action would take off something paint stripper wouldn't get all of sometimes.

I think it was more the heat and (maybe?) the simple green than the ultrasonic action, but who knows ... it peeled off sort of like other stuff when you hit it with a heat gun, so I think the super old stuff just may not tolerate heat. My Chinese cleaner was reading ~48 Celsius, so the water was pretty warm.

Back
Top Bottom