• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CB500T exhaust flanges

TOMD

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi,

I am wanting to make a stainless exhaust for my CB500T.

The only problem i am having is how to make the 'lip' for the exhaust collets and clamp to press to.

i wouldn't mind if i had to discard the original collet and clamps if there is a better or easier option.

For reference i am also using 1.75" tube

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

thanks

I bought a mandrel bend set for my 450 to make pipes for it since they don't sell the drag style version I wanted anymore, and it came with the larger diameter section that fits into the head to seal against the copper crush-style exhaust gaskets. You need the ridge to push against with the flange that goes over the studs using the stock collars, or a stub of larger diameter pipe (or a sleeve over the pipe you plan to use) to extend outside of the head so you can either use a flat plate (as my pieced-together pipes did) or the stock flange to work with the nuts on the exhaust studs to push the pipe into the head to seal properly. I don't have a clear picture of the head area of my first set of pipes made from that kit. These pictures should give you the idea

https://xs650chopper.com/yamaha-xs650-exhaust-kit/

https://www.z1enterprises.com/yamaha-xs650-2-1-xs-performance-headpipe-set.html

Thanks,

So if i am using 1.75mm tube for the down pipes, how do i make the ridge that the collars press onto?

Could i use another piece of stainless pipe? if so what dimensions would i need (e.g. Internal Diameter to fit over down pipe and wall thickness)

You'll need something large enough to fit over your header pipe but small enough OD to fit inside the head and up against the gasket. I think the pipes we put together for mine had about 1/8" to 3/16" larger diameter than the header pipes themselves, and then the plate to push them into the head and exhaust gasket will need to be the proper diameter so it will slip over the 1.75" pipe while still being smaller than the outer sleeve to push on... custom means you'll have to figure it out by fitting it to the bike as you go, of course.

Is 1.75” the OD of your new pipes? Assuming they are 16ga that works out to ~1.63” ID? Is that how large your stock pipes are? I would closely match the stock pipe ID to keep exhaust velocity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes the OD of the Pipe is 1.75" (44.45mm) and 1.5mm wall thickness. The overall OD of the pipe including the lip that goes into the head is 51mm.

So if i am correct i think i will need a collar with an ID of 44.45mm to fit over the header pipe and a wall thickness of 3mm for the collar to press onto. this should give me 51mm to go into the head and seal up against the copper gasket.

yes the OD of the Pipe is 1.75" (44.45mm) and 1.5mm wall thickness. The overall OD of the pipe including the lip that goes into the head is 51mm.

So if i am correct i think i will need a collar with an ID of 44.45mm to fit over the header pipe and a wall thickness of 3mm for the collar to press onto. this should give me 51mm to go into the head and seal up against the copper gasket.

Yes, a slight interference fit would be best and then one or two plug welds will hold it in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom