• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Triple tree not lining up with fork cb400t

CafeTai66

Total Posts
Total likes
As the title says, the triple tree isn’t lining up with the fork. It’s off by a few centimeters, last time I got but pushing the the over but I feel like this should go a lot smoother. I’m assuming it’s something with the alignment of the forks, if any one has any tips I’d appreciate it! Happy Labor Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the top bridge/upper triple loose on the stem the forks should slide up into it. There have been instances where the upper has been bent but very infrequently. You might try sanding the inner clamp areas to get rid of any corrosion or embedded debris causing an interference fit,
Might lightly snug the lower clamp just enough that the fork will just barely move up/down.

With the top bridge/upper triple loose on the stem the forks should slide up into it. There have been instances where the upper has been bent but very infrequently. You might try sanding the inner clamp areas to get rid of any corrosion or embedded debris causing an interference fit,
Might lightly snug the lower clamp just enough that the fork will just barely move up/down.

I’ll grab a picture in a second but it’s off to the left off the whole by at least a couple cm. The upper triple looks straight. What else could it be?

It's possible the forks are bent or the lower triple. Would have been a hard wreck to do that, typically forks bend just below the lower triple.
Do you know the history on the bike, is it possible the upper is from a different model?

Unless there’s a difference from the hawk 1 to hawk 2 the triple tree top came with a hawk 2. Crash history I don’t have any idea. Would shimming a cm or 2 effect the bike?

All the T1 & T2 versions used the same parts plus the CM E models.
Nit sure what you mean by shims. With the upper and lower triples in place the fork tubes should slide up/down before clamping, It's a triangle so they should pretty much self align. The lower does need to be set and snugged up but the top should be loose on the stem. The bore the tubes are sliding into sets the angle for the tubes to align, this is where in a severe crash the lower can bend.
Pictures will help I think

All the T1 & T2 versions used the same parts plus the CM E models.
Nit sure what you mean by shims. With the upper and lower triples in place the fork tubes should slide up/down before clamping, It's a triangle so they should pretty much self align. The lower does need to be set and snugged up but the top should be loose on the stem. The bore the tubes are sliding into sets the angle for the tubes to align, this is where in a severe crash the lower can bend.
Pictures will help I think

I figured it out, the left fork wasn’t fully in at the wheel causing it to be misaligned. I got it installed. Thank you for the advice anyway!

Back
Top Bottom