• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Changing Front Fork Seals.

TrickyMicky

Total Posts
Total likes
At the moment the CL160 is in a state of undress, with various items scattered around my small 'onda 'ospital. There are bits that have been re-sprayed, bits with undercoat, bits rubbed down ready for undercoat. The engine is on the bench, replacement main stand fitted, spring attached with the help of approx. 24 coins of the realm and some well chosen words. Went to remove the front mudguard/fender, and realised that the wheel has to come out to access the bolts and lock tab for the torque arm! Cannot access front wheel at moment as it is clamped in the jaws at the front of the ramp, and not a lot supporting the rear of the bike. It was then that I noticed the right hand fork leg was suffering from a serious touch of incontinence, but after 55 years should I be surprised? We could make fine bedfellows.
My main query is, when I manage to get access to the front end, is it possible, after dropping the fork out of the triple tree, to change the seal without a complete disassembly of the whole fork? I fully appreciate the need to carefully check the fork tube for imperfections, but wondered if it were humanly possible to slide a new seal all the way down a well lubricated fork tube. Regards to all fellow Mechanical Masochists - Mike.

The problem there is once you remove the circlip, you will have to compress and extend the tube repeatedly to drive the old seal out, essentially separating the stanchion tube and its valving from the lower slider...... You might want to flush out the slider at this point anyway......There is NO NEED to remove the cross-head screws accessible from the bottom of the sliders, NOR is it desirable to do so......

Back
Top Bottom