• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Steering turn stop CL77

RetiredLEO

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
When I turn the handle bars to left or right and they stop due to the (stop bracket behind the forks) I notice the forks come within 1/8" to the fuel tank. I noticed a tiny dent on the front left side of the fuel tank caused by the fork contacting the tank. Anyone know of a fix for this as there is no adjustment on the bracket?

I've seen steering stops get bent from a crash, it varies from model to model based on how the stops are designed. And sometimes the pie-shaped piece welded to the front of the neck can get dented by the stop on the steering stem itself. Do you see any visible dents or bent stops?

No damage to the steering stops. I'm trying to think of way to build up or extend the fixed bracket by attaching a small piece of flat metal to the fixed stop. I can drill a and screw the small plate onto of the fixed stop thus extending it 1/4". I think.
I've seen steering stops get bent from a crash, it varies from model to model based on how the stops are designed. And sometimes the pie-shaped piece welded to the front of the neck can get dented by the stop on the steering stem itself. Do you see any visible dents or bent stops?

No damage to the steering stops. I'm trying to think of way to build up or extend the fixed bracket by attaching a small piece of flat metal to the fixed stop. I can drill a and screw the small plate onto of the fixed stop thus extending it 1/4". I think.

Whatever you do add, I think 1/4" is more than you need and you'd regret it. The loss of turning radius would be a lot more than you think. If it comes that close to the tank it almost has to be bent, even if only slightly. Honda never made the gas tank to fork clearance that small. I've seen guys drill and tap the stops on the steering stem and run a bolt into them so the distance can be adjusted, but if your original parts still have their factory integrity the tank to fork clearance should be more than 1/8" IMO

Yes sir. Mine is identical. No damage on fork stops or steering neck stop. Apparently over its 54 years the points of contact have worn down. I think I have a fix. I have found a hard rubber grommet I will attach to each side of the contacts. This will cause the rotation to max out on both L and R turns about 1/4". Thank you for helping.
Does yours look like this? If so, it could be the spots on the neck of the frame where the steering stem stops touch might be dented in slightly, adding to the turning radius

View attachment 9474

and this is a used one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3523832202...-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

Sounds like a good compromise solution. If you're going to paint the tank, you certainly don't need it getting dinged up afterward.

Back
Top Bottom