• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

'85 CB450SC Rejet/Tune w/pod filters & open exhaust

ninjaknome

Total Posts
Total likes
So I have been struggling getting my bike to run 'right'. I had cleaned the carbs a bunch of times. Tried working with what the PO did, they had changed the main jet to 130 (from 125 stock). Didn't run well. Added some washer/shims to the needle jet as well. That helped open throttle, and midrange. But, when cruising, it still hesitated. Added the GM Coil mod. Made it run better, still had the hesitation.

Then I got new pilot/slow jets. Stock was 38. Bumped up to 45. It's like a while new bike. I got low end power like never before. It's like everything finally has clicked.

I'm gonna do some riding, and check the plugs. But I'm feeling optimistic.

So, recommend changes for pod filters and a more open exhaust. I removed the baffles off the stock mufflers:

Main jet: 130
Pilot jet: 45
Needle jet: add one shim per side

If anyone has any feedback, feel free to respond
Note: these are the single main jet carbs VB2F, not the VB21/22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I got new pilot/slow jets. Stock was 38. Bumped up to 45. It's like a while new bike. I got low end power like never before. It's like everything finally has clicked.

It’s a great feeling when all the hard work (and aggravation) finally feels worth it! Good to hear you’re getting it sorted… enjoy!

Tom - 1982 CM450E / Midwest USA

They're K&N, don't have a part number. They're about 4-5" long, so they're bigger than the basic eBay/Amazon stuff. Might make a difference

It's been a 3 week endeavor...boy I'm sure glad it's 'over' haha

I bet you are! It easy to read a post and think, “hey, they just went out and swapped jets and it runs great”, when in reality it can be an ordeal.
Thanks, too for sharing the info for others, it’s appreciated and a great resource to have working numbers.

Tom - 1982 CM450E / Midwest USA

Man I feel this thread.

Having had a similar experience on so many different bikes, and never feeling quite happy with the result, I'm to the point now of almost never touching the factory intakes.

I'll slightly upjet here and there to level out throttle response imbalances maybe - but pod filters and constantly fiddling with the mixture to make the bike feel right - ugh!

Glad you got it sorted.

Back
Top Bottom