• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Who is using a wheel chock?

Randall

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I would like to get a quality wheel chock to use both in my small garage space as well as in my trailer occasionally. I like the Condor Pit Stop, but at over $275 for it plus the little trailer adapter mount, it's too rich for my taste. Not to mention I got scammed by a Chinese fake site recently for a deal that ended up being too good to be true. Letting the credit card company sort that out.

So, what else is there besides the Harbor Freight one? I don't mind if it takes some time to mount it in the trailer, I don't expect I will be doing that all too much. I just want to be able to go on a trip with my bike when the opportunity avails itself. And is there really over $200 difference between the Condor and the HF?

Well, I do have the Harbor Freight wheel chock ( Pittsburgh brand name ) that I use in my garage and really like it. I believe it could be mounted in a trailer.
I put a Condor wheel chock on my Harbor Freight Motorcycle lift table and really like that as well.

I like the look of that one more than the HF one for the same price. I will be looking for your opinion once you have installed them. I am trying to work out how to use it in the garage without it sliding around. I am not ready to commit to drilling my concrete floor. Maybe figure a way to use a cut down piece of plywood without having the fasteners be the contact points with the floor.

I may need help with the physics of this; seems like it would work. Make longer front legs/ stabilizers with maybe something larger than a 2x4 bolted to the chock itself? Weight of bike holds it down, eye bolts in each end for straps to the bars? Probably wouldn’t need to be as wide as shown, and you shouldn’t have to drill the floor.
93ad2a60baa2a45da47cee2fde0f0711.jpg

Tom - 1982 CM450E

That should work fine Tom except that the tire is going to hit the 2x4 before in fully. I think I would go with thick wall 1" square steel tubing or regular 2" square.

That should work fine Tom except that the tire is going to hit the 2x4 before in fully. I think I would go with thick wall 1" square steel tubing or regular 2" square.

It sure is… I suppose you could attach legs to either side leaving a gap in the middle for the tire if there is enough material on the chock itself; or drill more holes. I like your steel tubing option, much better.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Your angle iron welded to the chock and 2 legs that bolt 2-3 times to the angle would give you the rigidity and stability plus break down for storage. Minimum total length of the legs should be equal to the height of the tank top, greatest stability will be each leg from the chock center point the same as the height of the handlebar risers.

I was more concerned with how to secure it when backing out of the chock. I was thinking I wanted to use it in my garage until I remembered I will have a working center stand soon, so I really don't need it for that. So maybe I only need one for my trailer, in which case it will be secured to the wood floor.

I just ordered one, we shall see.

I like the look of that one more than the HF one for the same price. I will be looking for your opinion once you have installed them. I am trying to work out how to use it in the garage without it sliding around. I am not ready to commit to drilling my concrete floor. Maybe figure a way to use a cut down piece of plywood without having the fasteners be the contact points with the floor.

I'm thinking you could use an appropriately sized sheet of plywood with 2 T-nuts on the underside and bolts just long enough to not protrude through the back to secure the chock, then set this on your garage floor. Would be easy to take the bolts out, store the plywood and use the chock elsewhere.

4 would be better, I said 2 as the front angle on the unit comes predrilled with 2 holes.

Although T nuts in 3/4” ply are pretty solid, commonly used on rock climbing gym walls.

I’ll post some pics and thoughts after we get ours installed on the trailer.

So we got them mounted up and towed the bikes ~150 miles, including some pretty rough 4WD roads out from the cabin.

I'm happy to say the chocks worked great, no issues.

My only complaint is the hardware; the bolts supplied should be a bit longer, as no threads protrude from the nylock nuts (see pic below).

IMG_5156.jpgIMG_5158.jpgIMG_5153.jpg

Nice. They look good. I ordered one for myself. I don't know that the bolts are too short, what good does protruding threads do if the nylock nuts are fresh and tight?

Nice. They look good. I ordered one for myself. I don't know that the bolts are too short, what good does protruding threads do if the nylock nuts are fresh and tight?

I’m also a pilot and building a home built airplane; the spec for nyloc nuts in aviation is that they should have 2-3 threads protruding. That’s what I based that on.

Whether or not I actually get around to sourcing and replacing those bolts is a whole different thing ... they might just end up getting checked when we infrequently trailer bikes.

Until the threads have gone completely thru the plastic sleeve the nuts aren't fully engaged, that's why aviation calls for 2-3 threads exposed.

I received mine today, and I must admit, I am not thrilled with it. It doesn't hold my bike up very well with my 100/90-18" front tire as well as I'd hoped. I have it set at the second hole from the front. I suppose it will perform better as a mounted trailer transport system with the bike being strapped down, but as a stand alone chock that you can drive into and dismount and walk away, it really doesn't measure up, at least on my CM450.

It is a quality, well built product, however. Oh well.

…but as a stand alone chock that you can drive into and dismount and walk away, it really doesn't measure up, at least on my CM450.
Wedges/shims of some kind to tighten the grip on the front wheel without going overboard and doing damage? I wasn’t aware they were designed/meant to be used stand alone, but I’ve never had one. Sorry it didn’t work out.

Tom - 1982 CM450E / Midwest USA

Back
Top Bottom