• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Why do some of the youtube bikes sound better than mine?

Randall

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
My CM450 is very quiet at idle, and that's fine. But, I have seen several videos of my same bike on youtube, and they sound louder and more throaty than my does. I admit, I am kind of jealous in a strange sort of way. Not that I would definitely do it, but is there some tweak to my stock exhaust that they are doing to achieve this sound? I did see one that had three holes drilled in the rear baffle.

I wouldn't mind if my bike had a little more hair to the sound of it.

But, I have seen several videos of my same bike on youtube, and they sound louder and more throaty than my does.

I wouldn't mind if my bike had a little more hair to the sound of it.

I agree, and have seen the same videos, Randall. You think those sound good, find a video of a DOHC 450 and you’ll really be jealous.
One thing I’ve noticed is we hear our engines/exhaust mostly from the seat, we don’t hear it passing by, or from behind. Mine sounds better standing a few feet behind the exhaust than sitting or standing near the engine. And it sounds really good rolling on the throttle over 5-6k rpm!

I considered a 2-1 exhaust, or pulling the baffles, but I’m not going to hack into my stock mufflers at this point.

LDR pulled his baffles and re-drilled them with good results, but I think that was on his 400… I’ll have to check and find it.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

You could rescue a pair of orphaned Harley pipes, they do produce a "throatier" sound.

I am not interested in changing out the mufflers, I aim to keep it stock, as clean as it is. Just wondering if there was a trick to modding them without changing them too much. I have seen one with three holes drilled in the rear baffle. I was wondering about trying that.

OK, the size of the holes will determine the sound volume and the note. I would start small at 1/2" and work up from there, 3-4 holes.
There are phone apps for decibel readings and here's some info about using dB readings https://decibelpro.app/blog/sound-level-meter-readings-depending-on-distance-from-noise-source/
Location when testing is important so don't bother checking inside your shop or even in the driveway. Also your helmet will alter the sound so what you hear is not what other hear.
You really want to try to limit the dB to @80. Louder will cause hearing damage and you really really really don't want more than you already have. Take it from someone who went deaf for 15 years until I got Cochlear Implants, 2 computers inside my head.

I was an audio professional when I was younger, working in studios and on stages, so I fully understand sound levels, dBs and all of that. And at 61 years, I still have remarkably good hearing. I am not interested in trying to make my bike roar, just a bit less tame sounding.

Now to convince myself I want to drill those holes in my perfectly clean 40 year old mufflers.

I am not interested in trying to make my bike roar, just a bit less tame sounding.

Run her out in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear anywhere close to the gear indicators in your speedometer and she won’t sound tame at all.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Back
Top Bottom