• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

450 or 500t what would you do?

450roo

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Covid and winter has kept me off the roads, so I sorted some of my Honda bits. I have enough parts to build a 450 or a 500t motor but not both. I don't need ether so it will be a spare. Also it is good way of keeping the parts together.
The the question is which should I assemble? The 450 is more common and so more likely to be used. On the other hand the 500t motors are harder to find. To make it even harder to decide ether motor will fit into into ether frame.
Any thoughts will be welcome.

Unusual question.......
You must have ALL the correct parts to build either engine......
Any other assembly (even if it runs) is a "Bitsa" and does not qualify as a 450 nor a 500T...... JMHO

Personally, I might start the process with the engine for which I had the most good condition original parts.......

Thanks Steve! I will go with your advice.
It is the 450 the gearbox is a little better condition. Actually the only parts I my need to buy are one or perhaps two exhaust valves. I have a box full, perhaps a dozen valves but suspect a few are bent a faction others a bit thin. Time will tell, I will take valves and head to the machine shop and see what they can do.

I've never cared for longer stroke engines, they don't like to rev as much and they generally vibrate more. If only Honda had overbored the 500T to get to the larger size instead of stroked it longer. Though they are very similar, there is a difference in trans ratios and apparently the 500T gears are more liked by road racers. Here's a comparison I put together of the 4 speed 450, 5 speed 450 and 500T

450-500T ratios.png

Back
Top Bottom