• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Wheel bearings with single seal or double seals?

Albert

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi, I´m going to change the bearings to my bike´s wheels, it currently has in the front wheel, the OEM bearing NSK-6004DU (single contact seal), but my question is: isn´t it better to replace them with DDU bearings (doble contact seals)? is there any particular reason for having only one seal?
Also, searching for a good replacement I also learned about SKF bearings with low-friction seals on both sides 6004-2RSL wich reduces seal friction up to 30%, a bit more expensive of course but...
Can someone enlighten me in this topic?
Thanks, and ride safe
Albert

What I know of sealed-both-side, or double side seals, is they are maintenance free, and all of the grease in the bearing is protected (sealed). The grease is good for the life of the bearing, no more cleaning out old, dirty, contaminated grease and repacking. Those are reasons enough for me to switch.
I’m replacing both my front and rear wheel bearings, and eventually my steering stem bearings, with double sealed bearings.
The actual number on your bearings, not the Honda part number, is an industry standard bearing size. You can purchase them anywhere bearings are sold - mine are from All Balls Racing, but any decent industrial supply house has them also.
For the nitty gritty of why, and the engineering side of sealed bearings, I’m sure someone else will have better specifics/details.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

As Tom mentions the double seal keeps all the grease in the bearing so there's no spin off and also it keeps any dirt/debris out of the bearing.
Timken, SKF are common names to me, NSK I've seen mentioned but no knowledge. I buy bearing by the number at the local bearing supply house so you might check with them on price and availability, it's way cheaper than Honda's pricing.

I bought double sealed front wheel bearings from McMaster. They were a German company, but manufactured in South Korea, F.A.G.

Aside from the shock of the name on the box, they’re great little bearings, and do feel a bit sturdier than the all-balls bearings.

I’ve got all balls in the rear wheel and they’ve been just fine as far as I can tell.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Personally I would use single seal as the entire hub becomes 'sealed unit' when assembled.
New bearings will be supplied with the correct amount of grease, (around 25% pack)
Almost anyone re-packing bearings will overdo it and put too much grease in (I'm guilty of it before, I knew better)
I tend to use full synthetic greases since they have been available (probably last 30 years?)
The low friction seals sound interesting.
There are a lot of good bearing manufacturers .(R.H.P., F.A.G., KOYO, Timken, SKF, GKN,, etc plus several who merged and are under new names)
NOS from older manufacturers is quite often available at established bearing houses where stock isn't taxed until sold so don't be afraid of a 'Made In England, Japan or Germany' box (even Made in Poland I've found to be pretty dam good)

Thanks to all for the opinions, just wanted to share that doing some more reading online I found a common answer to this topic:
"These sealed wheel bearings can last as long as you own the bike, if you treat them right. However, overloading the motorcycle, riding in deep water that goes over the hubs, directing a pressure washer or hose on the center hub areas, doing wheelies, jumps or riding hard on rugged terrain will reduce their service life, as will neglecting to lubricate bearings that can be greased"
Well for what I've seen any option can be a good one with the right care and how fequent the bearings will need maintenance or not wich depends on the type of riding, so I decide to try the SKF deep groove low-friction bearings.
Long Distance Rider, NSK are japanese made bearings, in fact my 1982 CB450 nighthawk wheels has them as the OEM bearings, also this are the bearings sold in sites like CMSNL as OEM for my bike, so I think they must be a good option as well. Thanks to all of you guys for your opinions, is really good to count with that kind of help

No worries, glad it all helped you make a decision. [emoji1303]

Tom - 1982 CM450E

When I said I have no knowledge of them I meant that I haven't used any as replacements, I've seen many of them when replacing bearings but they're never offered by whichever bearing supply I'm using at the time.

Back
Top Bottom