• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Exhaust header to muffler joint

Hawksmoor

Total Posts
Total likes
Greetings, I wonder if anyone has any tips or advice on how to make a sound couple between header and muffler. I have CB450k1 pipes and the left hand side parts link together OK as I have to twist and push to get the muffler over the header then put a heavy duty hose clamp on, feels rock solid. On the right side, however, the joint is loose and it there is no friction, even with a hose clamp it isn't tight. What is that material on the tail end of the header and how is it put on? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, cheers, Hawksmoor

Greetings, I wonder if anyone has any tips or advice on how to make a sound couple between header and muffler. I have CB450k1 pipes and the left hand side parts link together OK as I have to twist and push to get the muffler over the header then put a heavy duty hose clamp on, feels rock solid. On the right side, however, the joint is loose and it there is no friction, even with a hose clamp it isn't tight. What is that material on the tail end of the header and how is it put on? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, cheers, Hawksmoor

Moved to DOHC 450 Exhaust section.

It's a packing that goes over the end of the header pipe, designed to act as a gasket in between the outer diameter of the header and the inner diameter of the muffler input. It's number 11 in this fiche but they don't show it for the K1 and K2 for whatever reason

honda-cb450k3-usa-f-14-exhaust-muffler-cb450-k3-k5-k6-k4-c5-k7_big3IMG01171609_2d0d.jpg

Looking at the parts book, it doesn't appear like they offer any kind of replacement seal between the header pipe and the muffler. You might try some high temperature silicone RTV in the joint, we used to use it for header gaskets on cars. It withstands heat really well and doesn't cost much to try.

Looking at the parts book, it doesn't appear like they offer any kind of replacement seal between the header pipe and the muffler. You might try some high temperature silicone RTV in the joint, we used to use it for header gaskets on cars. It withstands heat really well and doesn't cost much to try.

Thanks Mike, I had a look on ebay for exhaust products .. think I'm going to try some 'K2 Bandex' which is a tape available in the UK, designed for exhaust leaks, looks like it might wrap the header nicely

I'm in the same situation. Gasket sleeve is not available and neither is the clamp.
I have some 25 year old NOS Asbestos DUXSEAL that should work to seal the joint but will have to buy a nice SS clamp to hold it all together. I also have some muffler tape that I could wrap the inner part of the sleeve with to take up the gap, but I'm afraid it might harden and make it impossible to take apart if needed.

A strip of tin foil, wrapped ?

..or, "foil tape" ?
(..available at most auto parts stores, I've used it to keep (track-duty) wheel weights stuck onto rims placed there by tire installers...

Back
Top Bottom